Chapter 34

Lia

"Goodnight Toby." I whisper as he shuts his eyes and mumbles a good night.

His mom is asleep on the couch in the room. Everyone else has left and got their turn with Toby.

I creep out of his room and quietly shut the door once I make it outside his room.

I turn around and find Colton still sitting in the same spot that he was sitting in when we all first got here.

I walk over and sit next to him.

"You're still here." I say.

"How else would you have gotten home?"

"I would've figured it out." I swing my legs out.

"He's going to have a raging hangover tomorrow." Colton chuckles. I just nod. "Let's take you Home Lia."

He's still using that damn nickname. I don't understand. Did I really upset him that much?

We both stand up. I keep my pace slow so my steps fall right behind Colton.

The hospital is mostly empty except for a few workers. It's is two in the morning.

On our way out I think about the pressure on my shoulders about having to decide what I'm going to do about Lacrosse.

I feel a headache creeping up. I bring my hands up and massage my temples.

We make it to Colton's car and I'm so thankful to be sitting down again even though our walk was fairly short.

I put my seatbelt on and go back to massaging my head.

"Are you okay?" He asks me getting in his car.

"Yeah I just have a small headache." I lean my head on the window. I feel tired and like I can sleep for hours but I know I'm not going to.

"Lia-"

"Stop using that stupid nickname!" I raise my voice at him.

"Fine. Merlia."

"Now you're just asking to be punched." I say out of anger and I turn to look at him.

The car is mostly dark. Illuminated only by a street light a few feet over.

For the first time tonight I notice the big cut in his eyebrow he got from the game Monday.

"It's just a fucking name." He rubs his face.

"Not to me." Stupid tears. "I love it when you call me Mer because I associate it with the butterflies in my belly when I hear your voice. Or the electricity and fire shooting through my skin wherever you touch me. The safe feeling I get when I'm with you." Colton Just stares at me. He turns and starts the car and drives. "Yeah don't fucking say anything." I wipe my tears away.

_____

Before Colton can even come to a stop I take my seatbelt off and get out.

The house is dark meaning my dad is probably asleep so I quietly go inside but Colton follows. For what?

The kitchen light is on so I walk in there. A sticky note is stuck to the fridge.

Went to go spend some time with Mr. Darwin after I heard the news about Toby - dad

Fucking great.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" I turn around and face him.

He stands a few steps away from me with his hands in his pockets.