Chapter 22

Lia

"You're Home early." My dad says.

Alex looks at me with concern etched in his face.

"Yeah. I just wasn't feeling it." I stutter through my sentence and shut the front door behind me.

I take cautious steps toward the living room.

"Merlia." My dad says once I'm standing next to Alex. In front of the unfamiliar family sitting on my dads couch. "This is Your mother."

His words hit me in the stomach like a wrecking ball. I think I'm going to be sick. I keep my eyes on my feet.

"Her and her family came to spend Christmas with us." Alex says.

I peel my eyes off the floor and look at her. The woman is smiling at me. I don't even remember her name.

Hate rises from the pit of my stomach. All these years.

"I think I'm gonna go to bed." I whisper.

"Merlia, this is your mother." My dad says.

I look at him. I feel hot headed.

"No she's not." I boldly say.

I walk past my Dad and brother, neither of them trying to stop me.

I drag myself up the stairs.

"I apologize on her behalf." I hear my dad say. "You guys can crash here tonight if you're to tired to go to the hotel."

I shut my bedroom door and lock it. Colton's big present sits on my bed along with the others. I walk past the comfort of my bed and walk into my bathroom.

I step into my bathtub and lay down. I don't know why but I find comfort in this somehow. Everything around me is dark but I can make out the shapes of everything.

I stare up at my shower head. My tears fall down my cheeks and my neck.

I won't be able to sleep tonight.

Cause now every time I shut my eyes, I'll be reminded of everything.

_____

I jump awake at the sound of my locked bedroom door swinging open.

Who and how?

I'm still in my bathtub and I can see the sunlight shining through under the bathroom door.

"Where the hell is she?" A distant female voice says.

"She has to be somewhere in here because her door is locked." A male voice says.

My bathroom door swings open and the lights switch on. I squint my eyes.

Ellie stands in the doorway.

"Found her." She says.

Toby peeks his head into the bathroom.

"Hey Lia." He says smiling.

I pick my arm up and wave.

They both walk in and shut the door behind them.

Toby is holding three tubs of ice cream and three spoons.

Ellie puts the toilet lid down and sits on it and Toby sits next to the bathtub.

"Where is everyone else?" I ask my voice is soft.

Ellie looks at me with sadness in her eyes.

"Pizza Shop. With Colton."

My heart sinks. Lilly.