Chapter 21

Lia

It's Thursday today. We're in the gym for lax conditioning and I'm dripping sweat per usual. Christmas break is right around the corner and my brother flies back home tomorrow.

"Wrap it up ladies!" Coach Davis yells through the gym. I finish my last burpee, "okay, I know practice has been all over the place. Once the season gets closer in the coming months we will be on a more regular practice schedule. Next Friday we will be back here for practice and don't be shy to wear or bring your new lacrosse gear I know you all asked for." She winks and we all let out a forced laugh. "Alright you are free to go."

Tonight I'm going Christmas shopping for my friends. I always splurge on gifts for them. I know a lot of people think that how expensive or cheap a gift is doesn't exactly define how good of a friend you are. But I feel no matter what I do I can't ever pay my friends back for the things they do for me.

This year though. I have many more people to buy for. Which I'm excited about.

I do know what I'm getting Colton. My dad and brother are helping me pay for it because it is very much out of my budget.

"Can you believe Christmas is so close?" Ellie asks bouncing in the balls of her feet.

"I haven't exactly been getting myself into the mood." I say.

Ellie stops bouncing and looks at me with wide eyes.

"You better girl." She says.

I pull my hair out of my pony tail and pull a hoodie over my head.

I grab all my stuff from the locker and head out.

I walk out to the parking lot and I see Jake's car. If we were still together I'd be walking up to it. But instead I go to my little black Mazda.

"Lia!" I hear Jake yell out my name. I turn my head and he's waving for me to come over with his window down.

I walk over to his car. Call me stupid. Stupid.

"Hi." I say once I reach his car. Keeping some distance.

"You going to the party tomorrow?" He asks, "Tanners."

"Another party?"

"Yeah. Christmas celebration." He smiles.

"Nice." I nod, "well I gotta go. Christmas shopping." I say.

"Okay. Merry Christmas Lia." Jake says before rolling up his window and waving.

I wave back and walk off. My destination is clearly the mall. For Mike and Logan, I'm probably just going to have my brother get them some signed jerseys and tickets to a game. For Toby, meet his favorite hockey player.

I'm not gonna say I have favorites, but I'm just closer to Toby.

And for the girls. Well they're not as easy but they should be.

_____

"So a party at Tanner's?" Toby says, "do you guys know what this means?" He smirks and rubs his hands together.

"Operation Post it!" I say putting both arms in the air.

The table cheers. We're back in the cafeteria.

"We all have to wear dark clothing and fit as many Post it's in your pockets as you can." Molly says, "does anyone know when she usually arrives at parties?"

"She arrives early so she can greet all of Tanner's friends by opening her legs when they walk in." Lilly says.

"Okay so then we go five minutes before the party starts." Molly says.