scorbus: hanahaki disease (pt 4)

week four: worry - 悩ます

"Don't go worrying about me Albus. I- I don't need your help! I can deal with this on my own."
He looked down at his fidgeting hands.
"There's no need to worry... There's no need to worry... I'll be okay... I'll be..."
The feeling once again arose in his throat, Scorpius. could feel the eyes of his love staring him down.
"Leave me be! Please, you can't see this!"

"Leave!"

Scorpius woke in terror, a cold sweat broke out on his forehead and he clenched his hands under the blankets, for he knew he was awake; that feeling could be felt once more in his consciousness.
The horrific feeling of thorns forming in his raw throat, the need to cough - the petals tickling his lungs makes him want to scream.

Skipping classes is now not unheard of; although in the first few weeks Scorpius was hyper-focusing on his work, the illness eventually began gaining control until he ultimately gave up and admitted feeling sick. Rose did suggest approaching Madame Pomfrey, but was shot down almost immediately, Scorpius refusing stubbornly for he wanted to "deal with it on his own".

There's no way to "deal with it" and you know it, don't you, silly boy?

Throwing his damp sheets beside and forcing his wobbly legs to sprint to the toilet, Scorpius fell to his knees in a dramatic, but not uncalled for, manner. Then followed a painfully slow effort of emptying his choked stomach into the porcelain. He no longer stopped to look at the so-called "beauty" of the roses, which now appeared in full flowers rather than small quantities of bloody petals, for just the sight of the damn cliché made him feel like throwing up yet again.
   Tonight, however, the nightmare previously experienced obliged him to stay and sit on the cold tiles for a while. Only then did he realise that he was hyperventilating.

"...Scorpius?"

Damp with sweat, blond hair flew as he whipped his head around to meet the eyes of a tired boy leaning on the doorframe. Guilt draped it's cloaks over Scorpius as he realised that he had never noticed the shadowy bags under Albus' misty eyes, or his sullen cheeks, or his paler features.

Albus looked like he was ill too. Like he was suffering just as much as Scorpius.

"Are you okay, buddy?" The silence breaks by the doings of the brown-haired boy's hoarse voice. "You don't look so okay."
"Don't worry about me Albus. I'll be fine." A mutter was the most he could manage, but the other seemed to hear just fine.
     "Scorpius, tell me what's wrong. I want to help!" Although he looked exhausted, energy was brought from somewhere to be used in the conversation at this given time. Scorpius was a little taken aback at his suddenness.
"...There's no way you can help me." A whisper drifted from white lips.
   "Why not?"
He sighed, considering his options.

"It's a disease called the Hanahaki Disease-"
     "Disease? What the hell have you been keeping from me Scorpius?!" Flinching, Scorpius carried on.
       "-Where the person you fall in love with doesn't love you back, basically. You cough up flowers, and you can get surgery for it but you forget the feelings along with the surgery. If you don't get it, you... you die."
Silence followed for a while, and Scorpius began feeling deja vu from the time he had told Rose of the curse.
       "Are you getting it?" Albus asked quietly, his fists clenching and unclenching at his sides.
"No."
       "Why ever not?! You know what's at stake here!"
"Of course I know! I know better than anybody, Albus!" His short outburst was loud and surprising for the both of them. "I don't want to lose my feelings for him."
      "Who- Who is it Scorpius?"
He refused to let their eyes meet and pursed his lips shut. There would be no telling today.
     "WHO IS IT?" Previous thoughts were forgotten as Scorpius finally looked Albus in the eye, seeing the threatening tears forming in place.

"It's you."