Chapter 16: We never learn

When Aang, Katara and Sokka walked up to the school one morning in mid February, they saw someone with bare feet and a huge grin on  her face running towards them. 

"Toph?!" Katara said with disbelief, "How are you here?" 

"My parents changed their mind," she said excitedly, "It took awhile to work everything out, but I'm officially enrolled back at Four Elements!" Aang gave Toph a huge hug, "Twinkletoes, you know I'm not big on hugging," she added, but she was smiling. 

"Come on!" Katara said, taking her hand, "Let's go to geology. It's Friday, so the Boulder is doing a trivia contest."

"You know I'm winning today," Toph said happily, and followed Katara inside.

~~~

"Wow! You actually put in the work," Azula said to Jet in History class, looking at his notes on waterbending and the fishing industry, "Granted, your handwriting is atrocious, and this is barely enough to cover one slide." She frowned, "I suppose it's all I can ask of you."

"Thanks," Jet said in an egotistical way, as if what he had done wasn't the bare minimum of individual work in a group project. 

"Well, that means that we'll be finished early," Aang said, "maybe we could go get some ice cream or something to celebrate." Azula's face soured at the thought of going anywhere with Jet in a social setting, while Jet said,

"I'm having a party tomorrow night. You guys can come if you want." Now Aang's face soured. 

"I'm not really big on parties."

"So you aren't really big on fun?" Jet said with an infuriating smirk. 

"What are you talking about?!"

"I'll go," Azula interrupted. Aang's jaw dropped, "What?" she said, "I've been spending too much time in my own little bubble of rich firebenders, and you guys I guess. I should branch out a little." Aang sighed. 

"Fine," he said reluctantly, "I'll go." 

"You guys can bring whoever you want," Jet said, "Like maybe Katara, or-"

"Seriously," Azula said, "You realize she has a boyfriend, right? And that said boyfriend is right in front of you!"  

"I'm regretting this already," Aang muttered.

~~~

In the end, Katara and Toph were going to hang out at the Beifong Estate, so it was just Aang, Sokka, Ty Lee and Azula standing in front of Jet's house on Saturday night. 

"The last time I was here I almost ruined my chances with Suki," Sokka said flatly, "I can't say it's nice to be back."

"But it all worked out in the end, didn't it?" said Ty Lee, always the optimist. 

"Right..."

"Are you just going to stand here?" Jet stood in the doorway. 

"Is it just me, or am I getting serious Deja Vu right now," Sokka mumbled as they filed inside. Nothing had changed since the last time they had been there. Jet went to join his friends as the rest of them stood awkwardly in the entrance of the house.