Chapter Twenty-Two Part Two

Percy ripped the paper out of Blaise's stiff fingers and read all the legends under the pictures. Then criminals out on the street again. Percy wondered how Umbridge would cover that up. Under the last picture, the only woman of the ten, stood:

Bellatrix Lestrange, convicted of the torture and permanent incapacitation of Frank and Alice Longbottom.

Permanent incapacitation. So that was why Neville was at the hospital!

Daphne on Percy's other side had gotten a look at the page now and ripped it out of his hands. Her face was drained from all colour. "But... This can't be possible. This didn't happen!", she tried to convince herself and laid down the paper.

Draco who sat opposite her grabbed it and studied it himself. His face, too left all that reminded of the fact that it was not yet lifeless.

"What is written underneath?", asked Percy and Draco started reading out loud, attracting some more attention from the people surrounding them.

"The Ministry of Magic announced late last night that there has been a mass breakout from Azkaban." Many sharp intakes of air followed. "Speaking to reporters in his private office, Cornelius Fudge, Minister of Magic, confirmed that ten high-security prisoners escaped in the early hours of yesterday evening, and that he has already informed the Muggle Prime Minister of the dangerous nature of these individuals." Murmurs broke out on all sides and Percy had to ask them to shut it so Draco could continue. He only shook his head and gave the newspaper back to Percy. Blaise, able to move again, grabbed it and continued.

"We find ourselves, most unfortunately, in the same position we were two and a half years ago when the murderer Sirius Black escaped," said Fudge last night. "Nor do we think the two breakouts are unrelated. An escape of this magnitude suggests outside help, and we must remember that Black, as the first person ever to break out of Azkaban, would be ideally placed to help others follow in his footsteps. We think it likely that these individuals, who include Black's cousin, Bellatrix Lestrange, have rallied around Black as their leader. We are, however, doing all we can to round up the criminals and beg the magical community to remain alert and cautious. On no account should any of these individuals be approached." He laid down the paper after finishing and looked around the table. Percy saw the many shocked and confused faces. He hoped this would act as a wake-up call for those who followed the Ministry blindly.

Percy nearly forgot about his letter until he saw it again on his empty plate. It was simple, white, nothing special. Percy used his wand to cut the paper and open it. Then he pulled out the paper inside. The letter was written in Latin, still Percy held it at an angel no one could see what was written on it.

Percy,

They constructed an altar for you, did you know? It's pretty.

I wish I could write to you under better circumstances, sadly our situation hasn't been good in a while. The camp still isn't what it once was. New Rome is in ashes. I am glad you don't have to see its this way, still I am sad you never came to visit us. Hazel and Frank are well. I know they concentrate on rebuilding to not think about what happened, but at least they have each other. Piper left this world completely behind. She is currently shooting a movie I believe. I think it is for the better. Nico visits every now and then. He told us about you.

I am sorry, I know you never wanted this.

Reyna

Percy folded the paper again. This day was doomed to be shitty.

While many didn't read the newspaper this morning, everyone knew what had happened by dinner. Everyone was talking about it and, like Percy expected, many weren't satisfied with the answer the ministry had provided for the breakout. Something Percy didn't expect was that students who had family members that were murdered by one of the ten seat eaters grew famous over night. Percy noticed students following Neville around and the Gryffindor obviously did not enjoy it.