Chapter 1: Origin

It's very difficult to write this story calmly, and I've deliberately suppressed my emotions at this time before writing this first sentence.

Normally, when a lot of things happen, you don't want to write them down. This is because although you know the events are worth telling others, recording them makes you go through the pain, anxiety, and doubts all over again, and sometimes you even revisit the scenes from that time. It's not a pleasant experience.

At this time, you might think it's fate, because if I was born into an ordinary family, then even if my heart longed to experience these things, there would be no chance. But I was born into a very special family, the source of which stems from my grandfather and his special occupation, if you can call it an occupation.

In the words of modern people, my grandfather was a grave robber.

In Changsha in the 1940s and 1950s, my grandfather was a very famous grave robber, also known as Master Tu [1] by the local people. The reason why my family is very familiar with these kinds of experiences is because after the founding of The People's Republic, my grandfather was wanted by the Ministry of Public Security for a period of time, and it seemed that it wasn't revoked until the 1960s.

We don't know much about grandpa's experiences in those days. Most of what I know comes from the discussions I accidentally overheard between my parents, or eavesdropping when my grandpa talked with my uncles. Except for some family things, my grandfather hardly mentioned anything about grave robbing.

At that time, I knew that he must have hidden many secrets in his heart because it had been a long time since the excavation of that ancient tomb. No matter how big or obscure the secret, it would certainly be revealed after half a century. This is the law of time.

Even until his death, my grandfather was still very secretive about these things and was unwilling to mention them. This was very unusual, as it is well known that secrets, like the dilution of dye, are always partially revealed to the world with the passage of time. Even if my grandfather had the biggest secret in his heart, the events of that year would normally be diluted bit by bit. But that didn't happen at all.

Something very special must have happened when he was robbing the tomb, and this important matter couldn't even be diluted by time.

What made me even more certain of my judgment was that my grandfather had a very strange will.

He died very normally, just like any old man who knew he was going to die. He didn't have much energy to be afraid, as all of his remaining strength was used to explain his funeral arrangements.

His first words are still fresh in my memory. He said, "I never thought I could really die."

No one else paid attention to this sentence, only thinking that he was old and a little confused before he died, and so his words were out of order.

My father sighed. He knew it was useless to say anything besides: "We're all here. Your eldest, second, and third sons are all here, and your grandson is also here."

"I want to explain." My grandfather said, and judging from this sentence, his thinking was actually very clear. "I haven't left you much, but some of it should have some value. You three brothers should divide it among yourselves. I don't care about the others' children. I'm most at ease with you three."

My father nodded, and my grandfather continued, "After I die, I must be cremated within two hours."

This request was a bit strange, but we couldn't disobey the old man at this time so my dad had to nod again. "During the cremation, you must ensure that no one is allowed within 30 meters of the furnace, and no one is allowed to look inside of it." My grandfather continued.