Chapter 28: Difficult Choice

Which one here didn't look annoying? One with a peaceful and calm and collected face.

When I thought about it, I suddenly felt like something was wrong again. If the girl thought my face was very calm, was it because I was as lazy as hell at that time, so my face looked calm?

Moreover, it was difficult for me to tell what state these people were in when they were dying. Looking at the quietest and calmest face here may not be accurate because maybe they were very desperate when they died.

I shook my head, knowing that I was wasting my time. There was no more time for me to think about it, so I had to take a deep breath and look at the heads again.

It is said that at the most tense time, the thinking speed of the human brain can be increased by more than ten times. Although it was only more than ten seconds this time, all of the details of the seven heads were imprinted in my mind, and I immediately saw that one of them didn't have his eyes closed. Unlike the others, his eyes were narrowed, and I could see them.

"Let me get a closer look. Let me get a closer look." I said, "Open all the eyes of these heads."

"Eyes?"

Eyes couldn't be changed. I thought to myself, the person who was the most like me must have copied all of my details, including my eyes.

During this period of time, I studied the technique of changing faces and read a lot of literature. Some of them stated that the easiest way to identify this technique was to observe the eyes of the other party because the color depth, sclera (TN note: whites of the eyes), blood vessels in the sclera, and the size of the pupils were all different.

In order to see all of this, the details of the eye needed to be viewed from very close, so if it wasn't someone who was very close to me, it was generally impossible to do. In fact, there weren't any people who were particularly intimate with me, so even I didn't usually pay much attention to the details of my eyes. But I had happened to be reading books on this recently, so I specially looked at my eyes, which prompted me to seize this opportunity.

Whether or not the other party was considering this aspect, at least this was a direction of thinking that wouldn't make me look so desperate.

They uncuffed the two of us since the time was almost up anyways. Fake Wu Xie began to write his answer down on the paper while I opened the eyelids of those heads and looked at their eyeballs.

After some observation, I determined that I was an idiot, because they all had their eyes rolled back into their heads. Only the one with the slightly opened eyes looked straight ahead, indicating that he had died with a lingering grievance.

This person's eyes weren't the same as mine.

I looked at Zhang Longban and asked: "Can I break these heads open?"

"Why do you want to do that? Do you eat monkey brains?" He asked.

I said, "I'm going to dig their eyes out."

"Give it up. Embalming doesn't work on the eyes, they're all resin." Zhang Long shook his head. "And you don't have time, make a decision quickly!"

"Wait a minute. Did it ever occur to you that the real Wu Xie would definitely panic and make the wrong choice because of your actions and his character weakness? You may end up killing me by mistake."

"We don't care." Zhang Longban didn't hesitate, "We're absolutely one hundred percent confident in your choice."

"Can you not have so much confidence in me? I don't have any confidence in myself right now."

At this moment, the fake Wu Xie on the side said, "Can you hurry up? If you can't do it, just pick one and stop your chattering."

I looked at the fake Wu Xie's face, and told myself it would be fine if I had to guess between two impostors, but I had to choose one randomly out of seven. The probability of me being correct was too small. Ah, fuck this guy!

Wait, wait, wait.

I frowned—what that guy said just now rang in my ears.

"We don't care."

This is what Zhang Longban said.

What did he mean by that? It was impossible not to care. If their aim was to find Wu Xie, they would certainly account for the fact that if I was scared to death by this situation, I would probably make a mistake and then they wouldn't find Wu Xie.

They don't care, but are a hundred percent confident in their judgment.

Are they not focusing on my selection of the seven heads? This was a cover, and they were judging whether I was real or not by relying on other aspects?

For example, my reaction to these seven heads was the focus of their examination, while the heads themselves had no meaning.

Thinking of this, I suddenly felt enlightened. This was it, this was the case. A person with such a meticulous layout and the ability to plot would never make such a mistake.

It must be that this choice was meaningless in itself.

The topic was meaningless, so what they observed just now was human behavior. In other words, this entire process was an examination.

So, this fake Wu Xie must have known for a long time, and had been dealing with the exam in another way, while I was fooling around here.

"Time's up, will you choose?" Miss Zhang asked.

"Do you really want to cut my head off?" I scolded, pointing to the head with its eyes open and saying, "This one."

Zhang Longban and Miss Zhang glanced at each other and then looked at the paper fake Wu Xie handed over—it should have his answer written on it. Then Miss Zhang sighed, pulled out the dagger from behind her back, came to me, and said to the man beside me, "Tie him up, find a place in the yard, and I'll cut him up there."

I was blindsided and didn't react until someone tied me up, pushed me into the yard, and pressed my head onto a stone mill. All I could say was, "Shit, I answered wrong?"

I turned to see Miss Zhang come at me, her dagger flashing in front of my eyes. A strong hand was pressing on the back of my neck and pressing down on my artery. The girl said: "Don't be afraid, I'll start cutting from the spinal cord. When you don't feel any pain, it's the first moment."

"I'm really Wu Xie, you're mistaken!" I shouted loudly. I felt something cool on the back of my neck, and then the hot flow of blood before I found that I suddenly couldn't feel my body.

It's over, I'm dead.

This time it was true. I spent so much energy, so much luck, and went through hundreds of situations that could have killed me ten thousand times, but I didn't die. The result here was because I was stupid and answered the question wrong, so I would die so easily.

Life was really ironic!

I didn't feel too regretful in my heart at this moment, only a little smug as I told myself: When Little Brother comes out of the bronze door, he'll surely find that I was mistakenly killed by his people. Then we'll see what this girl and Zhang Longban look like.