Chapter 60: Shadow

I shook for a moment, but Fatty pulled me along and we started running. I didn't see what it was, and only managed to run a dozen steps before the both of us stumbled over the rocks.

The noise behind us was even louder, and I had just recovered when I noticed that Zhang Haixing wasn't around. It was too dark, and the flashlight's range was too small to see anything.

I yelled, but knew it was useless as there was too much noise coming from bronze doors. As long as we were only a meter away, the two of us couldn't hear anything.

Fatty fell harder than I did, and when he turned over and stood up, I saw he had split his head open. He pulled me to continue running, but I shook him off and shouted, "What is it?"

Before I had finished, a dark figure threw Fatty to the ground. I thought it was Zhang Haixing, but when Fatty kicked it off, I found it wasn't a person.

"Load the gun!" Fatty yelled from the ground: "Back it up against the stone! I'll help light it up!"

Fatty was always right when it came to judging situations— especially at times like this— so I knew I couldn't hesitate any more. But as soon as I pulled the rifle out, Fatty screamed again, and his flashlight was thrown aside.

It went out as soon as it smashed against the ground, and I couldn't see anything as I loaded the rifle in my hand, my own flashlight shining on the ground. All I could hear was Fatty cursing as I thought to myself, "Shit!"

It seemed that logic was always right, and grenades really shouldn't have been used.

When I finally got the rifle loaded and lifted it up, I saw countless shadows moving around, but I couldn't see Fatty at all. I couldn't lift the rifle with one hand, let alone shoot it. Stallone shooting a rifle in each hand was really quite unscientific [1].

Strangely enough, nothing seemed to attack me.

I yelled at Fatty and swung the rifle all over the place trying to smash something, but nothing was hit. Suddenly, there was a flash of light behind me. When I looked back, I saw a cold firework light up in the distance, and then get thrown out.

Then, there was another cold firework. The people over there moved quickly and lit more than a dozen cold fireworks, throwing them into the dark corners like acrobatics.

With the red light suffusing the area, I could see the acrobat—Zhang Haixing. Although the light didn't reach us, it was all around her.

I thought I would see some strange things when I finally got a good look at our assailants, but what surprised me was that I only saw some black shadows. Even under the light, those things were pure, black shadows and it was like they had no shape at all.

"Here!" I waved my flashlight. I saw her nimbly flitting between the stones, but she didn't come over and motioned to me instead.

I understood at once that we should go to her.

I went back to look for Fatty, only to find that he had ran by with a few black shadows on his body. I think they were stuck on him.

"No loyalty!" I cursed. I immediately followed him, running at maximum speed and telling myself I wouldn't fall until I reached the red light's inner range. Before I could relax, the ground under my feet suddenly moved and I fell down.

It turned out that the stones under my feet were unstable and there was a hole underneath. When I fell down, my lower body became stuck in the stone almost up to my chest.

I moved my legs a few times as I struggled to crawl out, but like an animal shedding its skin, my whole body slid down.

As I curled up in the small space below, saying how fucking great this was, I found that the flashlight was still in my hand. When I looked around, I saw the real body of the shadow everywhere in the surrounding stone cracks.

****************************************

Note:

[1] (Lol!) He's totally referring to Sylvester Stallone playing the famous character Rambo from the movie with the same name "Rambo".