Chapter 19

DIANA POV

The door creaked open and foot steps sounded, walking in.

"Diana? Are you yourself?" A voice sounded and my heart tightened, wait, what did he mean by am I myself? Did Luke find out about mother? What would he do now?

"What do you mean, am I not always myself." I tried to suppress my laughter from the bitter irony of it but failed, letting a chuckle out. It sounded weird, evil, not like who I am, but like... Mother.

"Diana, I know about your mother... to put it one way, controlling you." Luke walked forward and sat on the bed next to me, but I noted his tense posture, as if afraid of me. Little did he know that I would never willingly hurt him.

"Please, leave me alone." I whispered, hoping that he can hear me. He obviously did and his brows furrowed.

"Diana, I know exactly how you are feeling. This is going too far, I felt exactly like how you were when I helped Kronos, but don't you see? It was Gaia who abandoned you, she left you, she didn't claim you, she is now using you as a tool. Do you really want war? Want the death of so many on your hands? Being guilty forever? I've been through this, it's torture."

I zoned out after that, he was right, I didn't want a war on my hands. I don't want to see all the bodies and all the people who died, those who no longer have a future, just like Silena. She choose rebirth so I couldn't revive her, but how I miss her. She did all that for a friend. For the gods, how could I break her dream and wish.

"...Diana, are you there?" Luke called, waving his hand in front of my face and I snapped to focus.

"I can't stop." My voice was soft and it was full of guilt. "I'm too far down this road."

I raised my eyes to look at his face, which I have been avoiding for so long.

"And you can't stop me." I hardened my heart and face while he looked broken again. I knew he had hope that we could be together when I stop the war. But it isn't that easy. I already opened the tunnel, the connection between me and mother.

And that connection could never be cut.

"Phoenix is dead." Luke said suddenly, "She exhausted herself trying to go back in time and revive her mother. It seemed like her current self and past self's scent combined with the extra lure of magic was especially appealing to hellhounds."

"Very well." I said, closing my eyes in thought, driving the numbness away from my mind, "We might need to change some plans."

THIRD POV

"Annabeth!" Percy called as they followed Clarisse and Chris, they were in Alaska and following Clarisse, who was holding a small globe, which streaks of green inside.

The streaks were concentrated towards the direction they were going towards, and Clarisse said that that is where Diana is, but they have to be in a certain distance for it to work. Which is why it didn't at Camp Half-Blood.

Annabeth was looking furious, still pondering the fact that the Son of Apollo was smarter than her, a Daughter of Athena, and the best one at that. Her ego took a serious blow from it.

Percy was nervously glancing around as they looked, closer, as the globe suggests, towards Diana, who was never on great terms with him, especially as he was the one who told the gods to claim everyone, making her the odd one out.

Clarisse was staring intently at the globe and was frowning, as she didn't know why Diana would come to Alaska, she would have thought that she would have stayed with her dad, but she was also concerned about her boyfriend, who didn't seem to believe that she loved him over Diana, that it was only because she couldn't stand another war and that so many would die. Even though she cared for Diana, Chris would always come first.

Chris had an emotional less mask on, as he thought about Clarisse, it was evident that she loved him but he wondered who was more important in her heart, Diana, Silena, Luke and him. It drove him crazy knowing that Clarisse and Luke were best friends, even thought most don't but Clarisse told Chris last year. They are, after all, in a relationship. Clarisse clarified that they were only friends, non romantically involved, but admires each other for their skills. But is it really that simple?

The four quest members each had their own thoughts but they know they have one clear goal.

To find Diana and try to stop Gaia.

The globe led them straight to a mountain, and the only way through was a opening which apparently led to a gigantic crater inside the mountains as the sun was shining through, with a few monsters guarding it.

They glanced at each other and retreated, knowing each other well enough to understand that their non-verbal communication.

THIRD PERSON POV

"Father, I knew ever since it happened, but Apollo made me swear that I would never say unless someone asks me." Hermes grinned.

Zeus just frowned and left, knowing that his son was as cheeky as ever, and was not easy to get the truth out of him.