Chapter 20

THIRD PERSON POV

"Luke." Diana's heart broke just a little more, watching his blank face, "Prepare the demigods for war, we need to start this quickly.

Luke nodded and stalked off, thinking of the time when he gave the exact same order.

But that was the time he failed, and he realized he was being used.

And he has a sinking suspicion that history will repeat itself, doesn't it always? The Titan War, the Second Titan War, the Giant War, the Second Giant War. Multiple times, in fact, the quest for the Golden Fleece, even Perseus. The original Perseus and the new one. Perseus Jackson.

He felt a bit sorry for Percy, he's a good kid, and he felt sorry for deceiving him too.

But he was too dangerous, too unpredictable. Just like the seas.

Yet he wasn't so different then the gods themselves, even though the Titans rule, as Luke figured himself, might be worse than the Gods, the Gods are not the perfect beings mythology paints them as.

Examples? The demigod themselves are examples, products of gods and goddesses who just can't control themselves to stay away from the mortals.

And yet the Gods expect them to fight for them.

To fight their wars, to complete their quests, to save their children, to protect their stupid thrones while the demigods die.

And what happens after that?

Judgement.

No matter what you did, no matter what reasons you have.

Judgement.

No matter whether you killed that mortal because the Gods commanded you to, or whether you burned the house down since there was a Minotaur and he was going to kill you.

No, what happens is that when you kill, when you fight, when you do what they tell you to do. You get unfair treatment.

Use Jackson as an example.

He finally meets his dad, his father, the figure missing from his life.

And what's the first sentence he says?

"You are a mistake." A mistake, a mistake from Poseidon unable to resist from Sally Jackson, who could have had a perfect life, been a writer, met her lover, lived happily ever after, instead of being forced to abandon her career, forced to marry that stupid god. Poseidon ruined everything for that woman. 

And what is she repaid with?

She just wanted a proper life, want her child to be safe. Yet when Percy finally realized his heritage, he is in a life of constant danger, of wars and quests, where death is common-place.

And what did Luke do? He just added on to the danger, nearly killed Percy himself too.

He hesitated and was about to turn around but a blinding pain washed through him.

The River Styx knew what he wanted to do.

To break a oath on the River Styx was something too dangerous to do, but he knew it was his path.

He wanted to be with Diana so much, so much that he came back to life for another war, so much that he is willing to carry the name of traitor over and over again, as long as she returns his feelings.

And when she finally does confess her feelings, another secret comes out, blocking his path and hers from ever crisscrossing, isn't it just ironic?

That the reason he has the chance to see her again, is only because she is possessed? Because Gaia wants to have another attempt to try and overthrow the gods?

The pain was slowly becoming unbearable now.

"River Styx, I beg of you, please allow me to break this oath I made, it is concerning the survival of the gods."

Luke suddenly found his surroundings blur and the pain intensify, his scream ringing faintly in his own ears.

Everything turned white.

The guard who heard the scream came running across the corridor, disturbed, to see an empty corridor with a small splatter of blood in the middle.

The splatter of blood seemed to make up a word, the guard stepped a little closer and gasped.

There, is bloody red letters, was the word OATH.

"So what should we do?" Percy asked, all eyes instinctively turned to Annabeth, whose stormy grey eyes were closed, trying to think of a plan.

But they were disturbed by a cough.

They all whirled around, to see an Iris message, floating in the air with Chiron at the other side of it, holding a bow and arrow in hand.

"Percy, my boy, the camp is under attack, they are a battalion of hellhounds and dracaenas, although there are no demigod fighters, but there do appear to be a demigod leading the attack." Chiron hesitated before continuing, "and he might be your brother."

Percy immediately bounced up, "Chiron..."

"Percy, keep your mind on the quest, we would worry about this later."

"But..."

"Seaweed Brain!" The shout could only have came from one person, the one and only Annabeth Chase.

"Prissy!" No doubt who that came from.

They looked at each other in surprise, before glaring at their target.

Perseus Jackson.

"Prissy, don't you dare run off in the middle of the quest again, especially on my watch." Clarisse shouted, sticking her hands angrily on her hips.

"Seaweed Brain, it's okay, we should just get Diana out of this madness for now." Annabeth comforted, "Only then would we be able to even get to your brother in the first place.

"Am I interrupting something here?" A voice sounded behind all of them, and Chiron's mouth widened into an o.

"Luke?"