Junkyu | Anniversary

I sighed sadly as I read my boyfriend's message for the umpteenth time.

Junkyu
Sorry babe, something important's come up
I cannot make it to the date

Cancelling dates has become normal for him now. The first two years of our relationship marked the happiest days of my life. But things changed after he debuted as an idol.

I glanced at the calendar.

25th December - 5th anniversary.

I found myself crying again at the thought of Junkyu forgetting our anniversary.

He doesn't remember. He doesn't love me anymore.

I have always tried my best to be an understanding girlfriend, but at this point, it is more painful than anything else.

Should we break up?

Though I loved him with all my heart even now, the pain was unbearable. Instead of slowly crumbling, why not just break it once and for all.

I went out of my house to clear my mind. The road was covered with snow, but it did nothing to heal my ignited heart.

I absent-mindedly walked to a park and settled on a snow-covered bench. It was freezing out there, but nothing mattered anymore. I resolutely fixed my mind about breaking up.

Why should I be the only one to hold on? After all, he doesn't care anymore...

Suddenly, my phone beeped loudly breaking the silence of the night.

Junkyu
Baby, where are you?

Me
In the park
Junkyu, I've got to talk to you about something

Junkyu
Everything alright babe? What is it?

Me
Let's breakup

Junkyu
Read at 20:32

I waited for his reply impatiently. After a good long ten minutes, I locked my phone assuming that he needed his time. Tears were continuously streaming out of my eyes.

I still love you.

"Baby? Is that you?" I was startled by the sudden voice. It seemed vaguely familiar, kind of muffled.

"Who are you?"

"Junkyu"

I was surprised when he came and sat down next to me. He removed his mask and bucket hat to reveal swollen eyes and a puffy face.

"Baby? How did you come?"

"I wanted to surprise you at your house for our anniversary. I didn't cancel the date, I only wanted to make it more special. I am sorry, I didn't expect it to end this way," his voice grew thicker, tears rolling down his cheeks. It made my heart ache with guilt.

How could I even think of breaking up?

"I'm sorry Junkyu," I said, slipping my arms under his warm jacket and hugging him tightly. "I should've known. I am sorry."

"No, I should be the one sorry here. I promise to give you more time from now on. I didn't realize how much it must hurt you," he rambled, his voice coarse and strained.

I kissed him in an attempt to soothe his nerves. It was a salty yet passionate kiss because we were both a crying mess.

But at least we were together now.