Haruto | Friendship

"What's wrong?" I asked him for the umptieth time. In the past few months, he had changed a lot. Guess who was going through their puberty now?

He had become taller, his voice deeper than ever and his features more defined. The small, wimpy kid whom I had seen all my life was gone in no time, only to be replaced by a hot teenager who made girls fall for him within seconds.

But Haruto wasn't an attention-seeking guy. Despite his immense popularity and a large fan following, he had decided to stick to his pathetically pitiable childhood friend.

Looks aside, he has become more mature too. Though I miss his dorkiness, this was not bad at all. It felt pretty good when he protected and took care of me by doing small things. He made me feel safe and comfortable around him.

"Nothing," his attempt in concealing his apprehension failed miserably.

"You know you can tell me everything, don't you? I am always ready to listen"

I tried holding his hand but he flung it away from me. Okay! I am officially hurt now!

With teary eyes, I stormed out of his kitchen and locked myself in his room.

He came rushing right behind me but I was faster.

Haruto kept banging the door as he apologized ceaselessly. I didn't respond. Instead, I closed my ears and buried my head between my knees.

He was being way too cold and hurtful these days, intended or not. I let it slide until now, but everyone has their limits.

After a long time, he gave up and we ended up falling asleep on either side of the door.

Or at least that's what I thought.

I woke up to find a pair of strong arms hugging me. Haruto had somehow managed to enter the room and lift me from the floor without disturbing my dearest sleep.

He was extremely caring and considerate, especially when it came to me. I felt bad for fighting with him.

What had sprouted as innocent first love now threatened to put an end to our 12-year-old friendship.

I had fallen for him long ago, so long ago, that long ago, but never mustered up the courage to confess.

Presently, I had a strong urge to kiss his soft, plumpy lips, but didn't dare to.

I scooted closer as my nose touched his and played with his hair.

Almost immediately, his eyes fluttered open and he smiled warmly. My heart did a flip over before completely melting away into nothingness.

"Sorry about yesterday Haruto. I guess I overreacted"

He chuckled as his face closed in on mine.

"I'm sorry too" he whispered. "I'm gonna be honest with you. I happened to read your diary a few months ago...."

My eyes widened and my cheeks flushed with embarrassment.

Wasn't this invasion of privacy? Can't I file a complaint?

I wished the earth would swallow me. This explains his weird behaviour. I had a bad feeling that I knew what was coming.

"At first, it disturbed me to know you loved me. But....." he paused.

"But what Haruto? Spill it out" My voice was terse. I knew he'd reject me.

"Ms Ito, I, Watanabe Haruto, have hence shamelessly fallen in love with my rotten potato best friend"

I squealed with joy and jumped around the room at this not so unexpected twist. I have a bad habit of watching teen drama if you must know.

He got off his bed too and held me in his arms. We stared at each other for a whole minute.

I had to tiptoe and he had to bend, but we kissed anyway.