A Drunken Mistake - Here we go.

Hey guys!

I know it's been a while (again) but my life has been a tad hectic lately. School and work has completely taken over!

But anyways, here's the next chapter guys!

Now, this book really is nearly finished! After four years, it will finally come to a close. How sad!

Anyway, hope you all enjoy it!

"No one is ever quite ready; everyone is always caught off guard. Parenthood chooses you. And you open your eyes, look at what you've got, say "Oh, my gosh," and recognize that of all the balls there ever were, this is the one you should not drop. It's not a question of choice."

Dylan's POV

I'm panicking.

I know I shouldn't be, I know I should be calm, I know I should be trying to comfort Katy, but I can't help it.

I'm panicking.

"Dylan, it hurts!" Katy screams next to me, gripping onto my hand in a death grip.

It's killing me to see her like this, knowing there's nothing I can do to stop it.

We're currently in a taxi on our way to the hospital. The taxi driver has already taken multiple levels of abuse from both me and Katy. Katy screaming at him in pain as each contraction hits her harder and me screaming at him to hurry to the hell up and to get us to the hospital faster.
I'm going to have to give him a monster of a tip for this trip.

Finally, after what feels like years of driving, and Katy telling him to run several red lights, we reach A&E. I shove a stack on £20 notes into his hand, apologising in money for the abuse he has received from us this evening.

Helping Katy waddle out of the taxi, we make our way to the front doors.

"I have a pregnant woman here, someone, anyone, help!" I scream the minute we're in the building. A nurse snaps her head in our direction, grabs a wheelchair and rushes over to us.

"Okay sweetie, just take a seat here for me please. Now, has your waters broke?" The nurse asks as she starts pushing Katy towards the maturity ward.

"Yes," I answer for her, seeing that Katy is a little bit busy breathing through her next contraction, "it broke about 30 minutes ago," I estimate for her.

"Okay, and how far apart are the contractions?" She asks.

"About fifteen minutes?" I once again estimate.

"Fifteen minutes my ass!" Katy exclaims as she's hit by yet another contraction.

I reach my hand down to her for her to grip onto wanting to comfort her in any way I can, even if it means letting her break my hand in the process. Good job we're in a hospital, I think I may need medical attention on it when this is over.

And then it hits me.

When this is over, we'll have a child. A real life little baby. A dependent baby that needs constant care and attention, something we'll have to provide.

The nerves have kicked in.

"Dylan, please for the love of god snap back to reality!" Katy screams as we reach her room. Wow, Katy's feisty in labour.

"Sorry, I'm here sweetheart okay, it's going to be okay," I tell her as she gets into her bed.

"How can you possibly know that?" Katy asks, the irritation fading from her eyes and being replaced by fear.

I come closer to her, resting my forehead against hers and looking deep into her blue eyes.

"Because, we have been dealt our fair share of pain in this world. It's about time something went right for once, and I believe this is it," I tell her, fully believing every word.

She smiles gently, leaning forward to briefly press her lips against mine.

"I love you Dylan Thompson," she sighs.

"I love you too Katy Taylor."

Just as she begins to lean forward to kiss me again, she screws her eyes up in pain, clenching her teeth and once again, squeezing the life out of my hand.

"Breathe Katy, breathe through it," I instruct her, remembering all those breathing classes she made me attend.

"Easy for you to say, you're not the one that's going to have to push a watermelon through your special area," Katy says through clenched teeth. She's got me there. I have no idea how much this is hurting her, but from looks of it, I don't want to find out.

Finally, the nurse returns with the midwife.

"Hello Katy, how you feeling?" The midwife, a young woman in her late thirties with brown hair in a neat little bob, asks my fiancée.

"Oh just peachy keen. Except the feeling of someone trying to box their way out of my womb," Katy tells her sweetly. Okay, maybe I need to talk to her about maybe be a little less sarcastic with the people who are trying to help her, and the people who have the drugs.

"Would you like the gas and air now," Lucy, the midwife, asks her.

"Hell yes!" Katy exclaims. Maybe this will calm her down a little.

Lucy sets up a gas tank before handing Katy the mask to go with it.

"Okay, inhale through this and then let it out through your nose. It should help with the pain."

"Thank you!" She says, reaching her hand out eagerly for the mask.

Finally, something to subdued her.

The gas has sent her loopy.

Katy lays in her bed, gas mask clenched tightly in her fist, talking absolute nonsense.

It hasn't numbed the pain of the contractions completely, but it has slightly dulled it.

"Dylan, we're going to have a baby," she smiles softly at me, giggling as she takes another deep breathe from the gas and air machine.

"Yeah, we are aren't we," I smile back.

Once again, Katy's eyes screw up as she clenches her teeth in pain. I jump up and go to her side, offering her my hand to squeeze again. She takes a deep breathe from the machine once again as the mid wife enters the room.

"5 hours in huh? How you feeling?" Lucy asks Katy.

"Absolutely grand," Katy bites back through her contraction.

She really is feisty in labour.

Lucy starts to give Katy a general exam as she continues to squeeze the life out of my hand.

"I may need medical attention for this when we're done here," I whisper to the midwife as I gesture to my hand.

Lucy just laughs,"you wouldn't be the first father to say that," she admits.

After carrying on with the exam, Lucy suddenly looks at Katy with a smile spreading across her face.

"Well Katy, it looks like you're ready to go," she tells her, "you're about to become a mum."

Katy looks up at her with shock, unshed tears filling her eyes.

We're about to become parents.

Here we go.