❀ But, what if I'm the only one ❀

The elections had now begun, and the students were all sat down in seats, listening intently to all candidate's speeches.

"And if I become student council president, I will make sure that becomes a reality. That concludes my speech." One guy finished up. Everyone clapped as he walked off of the stage. It was now my turn.

"Next we have a speech from Amity Blight's campaign manager." The student announcer said.

I walked up to the stage with deep thought. When I finally got to the podium, I noticed just how big the crowd really is.

I took a deep breath and started, "I'm Luz Noceda from Class 1-1, and I will be supporting Amity Blight." Once I had finished my introduction, I was determined to start. I had started to recite the things I practiced on the sheet of paper. But I couldn't help but think in the midst of it all,

She's actually weak. Trying to keep up this act all by herself. Just how stubborn and awkward will she be? But, what if I'm the only one she's seeking help from? That's...

"That concludes..." I looked down at the podium.

Silence...

"That's why I want to join the student council."

I looked over and saw Amity's eyes glisten, frozen in shock. Willow, Gus, Boscha, and colleagues in the student council were sitting in the crowd, mouths wide open. They heard me practice this speech over and over and tell them repeatedly I wasn't joining. But, I wasn't sure what had come over me,

"Throughout the campaign, Amity has handled everything perfectly. To be honest, I questioned if she even needed my help, but even so, she told me that there was always something I could do. That's why, I want to help her." I looked over at Amity and back at the crowd and realized I had gotten ahead of myself.

"So, umm... I'm hoping you'll all support her with your votes! That's all. Thank you all for listening." I finished off my speech and the entire room started clapping.

I said that on the spur of the moment... It's not like I needed to declare that here in front of everyone.

"Next, the candidate herself, Amity Blight." The student announcer introduced.

I walked back to my seat and looked down as I passed Amity.

"You really are too kind." I heard her say.

"I'm just...normal." I tilt my head to the side.

As Amity approached the stand, I could see her blush, "I'm Amity Blight from Class 2-1, and I'm a candidate for student council president."

---

We all stood in the crowd of people flooding the hallways. The election results were just posted on the bulletin board. I could clearly see the paper as it read, "The result of the recently held election is as follows. Electee: Class 2-1 Amity Blight."

I looked over at Amity as people started to congratulate her. I then smiled and started to walk off, until I felt someone run up to me and tightly squeeze me, "Luz! We did it! It's all thanks to your efforts. Thank you."

"H-hey, what are you-"

"I love you." I felt her whisper into my ear.

Everyone just stared at us. They didn't hear what she said, they were just dumbfounded at the scene. I mean, Amity did hug me very suddenly.

I turned around and grabbed her hands, removing them from my back.

"Alright, alright. I get it." I said, pouting.

Love is... still not within my reach. But I decided I would stay by her side, but at the time, I did not realize there was something I had to give up in return.