24

I'm starting to understand why people say love makes you feel alive and even equate it to survival. Yes, it isn't oxygen, you can 'live' without it. But it is when you feel alive by your partner's smile on a dead Monday morning, where everyone else is zombielike. Many of us go through a long period of our lives without feeling anything, doing the same monotone tasks. Whereas if you let yourself trust and love someone, become vulnerable to them, it unlocks a whole new spectrum of emotions. Its scientifically proven that love impacts hormones in our brain, such as serotonin and oxytocin, producing positive emotions. Its a naturally-produced drug, easy to see why people love 'love' so much and start considering it a need.

Human beings are social animals. While civilization brought about houses and the concept of privacy, I imagine that the early man used to live in a community and was surrounded more or less all the time by humans and animals alike. In the modern isolationist world, perhaps a romantic partner is the most conventional and accessible route to fulfill that social interaction need for all times and add a new person to share one's life with. Friends are the second-best route, but most people don't imagine living together with their best friend forever. Unless its a "oh my god, they were roommates" fanfic. And while social events are plentiful, humans are greedy creatures. Their need for social interaction plagues them, and one could spend 10 hours with others but feel alone in the 11th hour. 

Some say introverts don't have such high requirements. But everyone desires to feel a human connection/link. I have a feeling that introverts dislike social events because they only get to know and interact with a person very superficially, which doesn't satisfy or interest them. And of course, the lack of social skills to express that. However, with a romantic partner there exists a much deeper and personal connection, which can satiate the psyche of an introvert. And thus, they get addicted to the drug too, and develop a 'need' for love as such. 

Why am I writing this? Half of you are the forever alone gang, and its not like I want to push you to go out and fall in love. Even I dread doing that. But I guess I wanted to share this new understanding I gained, which might help someone like past me, who was oblivious to these aspects of love.