27

Being LGBTQ is NOT a choice.

There is such an appalling lack of understanding and opinionated bias around this non-issue (nonissue cause, simply put, LGBTQ is not an 'issue' to resolve) that I too had been drawn into. But the understanding one gains by having a personal experience and personalized viewpoint is something that could make the world better for everyone, which I'll try to share here.

Does a straight man 'choose' to like a girl, or a straight woman 'choose' to like a guy? Then why is there debate around the 'choice' of being LGBTQ? Countries that ban same-sex relations aren't banning a 'choice' of partners, they are repressing sexuality & the freedom of having natural relationships with the people you feel attracted to. And in quite many cases, the only people you feel attracted to.

Imagine facing the shit LGBTQ have to deal with for liking a partner of the opposite sex. Wouldn't you be perplexed, confused, hurt? "But that's just straight, normal" you say. IMAGINE if it wasn't. Imagine if being straight was gay, and being gay was straight. Imagine if the (sexual/romantic) feelings you feel weren't shared by the majority, for no fault of your own, and you were ostracized, isolated and made an outcast for it. Hell, imagine if 'love' itself was taboo (it is cringe after all), the pursuit of romance was banned and the minority who did so were persecuted, abused, isolated and severely mistreated in general. Does this, the persecution & torture of minorities just for being different from the majority, sound morally right from any angle?

For all the homophobia, bullying, torment & discrimination LGBTQ members face, being (or pretending to be) straight can make life much more simpler and avoid a lot of hardships. Not to mention how hard it is find a partner who isn't straight. The point I'm trying to make here is that no one, rationally, would 'choose' to have a non-straight sexuality due to the complications that arise with it in today's world. But one can't 'choose' their sexuality, they can only understand it. It is simply something that is either there, or isn't there. There is nothing that can be done about it, except acknowledging and embracing it. 

And about the 'population' argument, don't get drawn in by the rhetoric of fools like Musk. Planet Earth was much finer and sustainable with 7 million people than 7 billion, I can assure you. Even if somehow, by mind-bending gymnastics and mathematical wizard modelling, they say that 7 billion can be sustained by Earth, why would you want to burden the Earth still? If you won a million dollars would you insist on spending it all? Or if a worker is contracted for 8 hours, is making them work continuously for all 8 of them necessary, or even wise?

Plus, the acceptance or non-acceptance of LGBTQ doesn't have an affect on genes. For you can trust mother nature at least, whatever behaviors we needed for our survival were encoded in our DNA. By the law of nature, straight people would always be the majority in the human race, as our DNA is designed to replicate and propagate itself, the natural of way of which is thru reproduction. Therefore, the human race would always show a genetic predisposition towards opposite sex attraction, that's what 'survival of the fittest' theory of evolution says.

So just live and let live. It is not their 'choice' that makes them LGBTQ, it is their nature. And it is a natural, sacred right to be able to express your natural self in your sexuality & relationships. The 'closet' doesn't exist in nature. Then why have we made it exist in society?

Before judging or reacting to anyone else's choices, always ask yourself the question "what if that was you?". Treat yourself the way you want to be treated. These axioms, if applied, can help you better understand people & the world you live in, and help make it a more livable place.