25

Why is suicide frowned upon? 

Because everyone is in pain.

Let me explain:

It is not some righteous human compassion or kindness that has led to suicide being 'illegal' and such a deplorable action to occur. If that were the case, people would help make each other's lives easier and more livable, especially when someone feels themselves at the cusp of death.

Instead, it is the fact that almost everyone is in pain, and has thought of escape, that mentioning it alienates everyone else. Indeed, people refer such cases to therapists and helplines i.e. make it someone else's problem. Some even dare call it the 'easy' way out, and criticize the victims rather than the kind of life conditions they had been given to live.

Perhaps I may be exaggerating a bit after all, with my pessimistic and mistrusting worldview. But nevertheless, I can almost guarantee that it isn't pure kindness that has resulted in the attitude towards suicide in today's world. We can make each other's lives easier, listen to each other's problems and help fix them, and if unable to, would grant the mercy of death instead of a life of suffering. Only a madman would want people to live in this world despite their will being otherwise. A madman, who himself has faced the option countless times and carried thru the pain, not realizing that pushing thru is indeed a choice, not a necessity, even if all the opinions propagate otherwise. The concept of having control over your life, to live it how ever you want to live it, or whether you even want to live it or not, ties in with the ideals of liberty and free will. Yet the free will of manipulating my own life towards its premature end seems missing in our society, because many others made the choice to carry thru the pain, and simply can't contemplate and accept the possibility that there is a choice to escape the pain, a choice that is just as valid as choosing to go thru it.