Part III, Chapter 11

The reality of the situation hit President Reggie Philips as he walked towards an outdoor tent with the sides rolled up. General Butch Matthews was on his right and General Nathan Taylor on his left. The meeting was requested by the leadership of the WTR following a cease fire. Reggie eagerly accepted the offer, but admitted to himself it was unexpected and a little suspicious. It was also odd that General Sampson was not at this event. No one could yet explain his absence.

As they approached, Reggie noticed only one small unassuming man on the other side of the table. He appeared meek and totally non-threatening. With no sense of hesitation or uncertainty, the man walked around the end of the table and stuck his hand out to Reggie.

“President Philips, what a pleasure to meet you. My name is Ethan Schweitzer,” said the small, older man while shaking Reggie’s hand in both of his. He turned to the other two and greeted them just as warmly and invited them to all sit.

“Gentlemen,” began Ethan. “Let me first thank you all very much on behalf of all the people of the West Tennessee Republic for coming. I hope and pray that our work today will be the beginning of a peaceful relationship that ends all of this ridiculous fighting between our two peaceful people.

“Sir,” said Butch. “I’m sorry to interrupt, but I must ask. Where is General Sampson? No talks can go forward without him present.”

Ethan looked stricken and uncomfortable. “I apologize, but I must inform you that General Sampson died at the Battle of Fulton. No one is sure exactly how, but there is some evidence that leads us to believe he was accidently killed by his own troops, much like Stonewall Jackson I could say. General Sampson would be honored by the comparison, but regardless we are conducting a full investigation into the matter. I am here simply as a chosen representative of the people of the WTR.”

“And if you do not mind me asking,” said Nathan, “just what is your relationship, sorry, was your relationship to General Sampson?”

“I was his chief advisor,” said Ethan. “Although he rarely listened to me. I told him this war was a bad idea and would only cause grief and trouble for everyone, but he didn’t listen. It gives me no solace to know I was right.” Ethan looked as if another thought occurred to him.

“Gentleman, I must tell you before we go further with any sort of negotiations for peace, that most of the WTR was against the war and only participated grudgingly. General Sampson was an absolute military dictator who ruled with an iron fist. I can certainly tell you that the people of the WTR are as happy, if not more so, than you are that General Sampson is no longer in power. I would even hazard to say that if not for General Sampson, there would never have been bad feelings between us, much less this wasteful tragic war.”

Ethan seemed to catch himself rambling. “I’m apologize, I only bring this up in order to humbly request that you deal with the ordinary, peace-loving, and innocent people of the Republic with kindness and understanding. I promise you they will remember it and it will establish a long tradition of respect and gratitude in return for your mercy and understanding.”

“If General Sampson is dead,” asked Reggie, “then who exactly is in charge of the WTR?”

“Actually, no one.” said Ethan with a smile. “I’ve been asked to represent our people here, and serve as an unofficial…'facilitator' for the public good, as it were, until general elections can be held. We’ve had enough of dictatorships.”

Reggie was becoming wary for some reason, but decided to get down to business. “Well, sir, we appreciate your overtures to us to end this conflict and are open to your proposals.”

“Yes,” said Ethan. “I appreciate your tact and not wanting to humiliate us, but we should talk straight here. We are here to discuss the terms of our surrender. The cease fire was the first step toward that end, and I pray that another shot will not be fired between us after this day. I again ask you to consider that the war was not against the WTR, but against General Sampson. The common people have been victims of his heavy-handed brutality. I would also like to say that I am here to surrender. We are certainly in no position to quibble, but I am reminded of the lop-sided peace treaties where one side dealt too harshly with the other such as in the World Wars or the Punic Wars. Those unfair treaties led to further and more costly conflicts. I hope today, at this table, we can establish a treaty between us that will allow our children and grand-children to live in peace.”