Part II, Chapter 3

Clarence Anderson recommended that he, instead of Reggie Philips, go meet General Jeb Sampson at Fulton along the Kentucky-Tennessee border. Reggie thought the recommendation odd considering Sampson was his counterpart in the WTR, but he deferred to Anderson’s reasoning.

Anderson didn’t trust Sampson but felt they saw more eye to eye as military men and if something happened to Anderson, Butch Matthews would fill his shoes more than adequately. If something happened to Reggie…no one could step in to fill those shoes, because there was no one so universally respected and trusted. Without Reggie, the whole enterprise might just fall apart.

Anderson suspected the requested meeting was for Sampson to explain further delays in delivering the compensation owed in exchange for the electricity, but to reassure the JP that it would be coming soon. Sampson would also probably rail at him for selling something that he thought belonged equally to all of them. Anderson had learned not to debate right and wrong with Sampson, only to explain how things were. Sampson fully believed that might made right, and the JP had the might when it came to electricity which infuriated Sampson.

These periodic meetings were slightly ritualistic. One or the other would send a message requesting a meeting at one of the border crossings at a particular time and date. The other party would accept, or decline but propose another time and date. They would then go to the planned location and each party’s escort would gather and look at each other until the planned time. For this meeting Sampson had asked to meet along the old Georgia-Pacific rail line in Fulton which ran from south to north. Anderson normally arrived first and casually waited for Sampson who arrived late, probably thinking it established his superior position.

Typically, Sampson swooped in with a flurry of calls to attention, flags presented, and other ceremony. This time was no different. One of Anderson’s aides unnecessarily let him know the show was about to begin. Sampson strode forward of the line followed by an aide and in a fairly arrogant manner waved General Clarence Anderson to him. Anderson smiled slightly to himself and strode forward with his aide. Anderson looked at his watch and saw it was 10:35, thirty-five minutes past the agreed meeting time. He thought about asking General Sampson sarcastically what time he wanted to have the ten o’clock meeting, but refrained.

“Greetings, General Anderson,” said Sampson. “Thank you for coming today, I see Mister Philips could not make it.”

President Philips sends his regrets sir, but again asks that you deal with me on all matters and to let you know, I have his full confidence and authority to speak for him.”

“How very trusting of him,” Sampson began to say something else and then stopped himself, appearing to search for words, but then nodded and continued. “Well, let’s get on with it. If you look to my rear you will see we have delivered all the compensation that we owe you.” Sampson said these words with obvious distaste, while his aide made a signal to the rear.

Anderson looked and saw a low platform on what appeared to be an old train flatcar being pushed up on the railroad tracks from around the side of a warehouse by about two dozen men. The railcar was piled high with what Anderson was sure were bags of corn and other agreed upon items of trade such as bicycle tires. He was a little taken aback by the sudden payment, having expected more excuses, but he quickly recovered himself. He waved men forward from his side to take over from Sampson’s men.

Sampson continued on, “There’s a hundred head each of goats and sheep grazing a mile to the east of here which your men can take control of. I believe that will settle our account in full.”

“General, this is most unexpected, thank you.” Anderson nodded slightly.

Sampson looked at him sternly. “Unexpected how? I agreed to your ridiculous terms, and I keep my word. This is what you requested in return for electricity through next summer, correct? I expect to get what I paid for.”