Part II, Chapter 4

General Anderson passed a message to Nathan at his parents’ home only a few days after the Taylor's arrived in Mayfield. He wanted to talk to him about something and also introduce President Reggie Philips, whom Nathan had heard much about.

Nathan recommended they meet for lunch at Hill’s Restaurant. Hill’s served the very best barbeque to be found anywhere around and N-Day had not diminished the wonderful quality of its food...although rationing had lowered the portions and limited the options considerably.

Nathan arrived early, shook hands, and talked to old friends. His celebrity status since arriving several days ago was not diminished. The stories of their adventures over many adventurous miles of dangerous territory were already legend, and gave hope to some that their separated family members might make it home also. Normally, Nathan would have tired of it quickly, but not so far. These people just seemed so genuinely glad to see him and to know that he was okay. It was hard to grow annoyed with that sort of attitude.

He sat at a corner table away from the crowd where he could see the front door. Nathan ordered iced tea and within a quarter hour saw General Anderson walk into the front of the restaurant in jeans and a polo shirt, foregoing his normal uniform. Anderson also evidently knew many of the same people and shook hands and talked as he made his way towards Nathan’s table. Nathan noticed a dignified-looking man in a coat and tie following behind Anderson. He also greeted individuals warmly and talked easily, but to Nathan looked tired.

They eventually made their way over to his table as Nathan stood to greet them. He shook Clarence Anderson’s hand and then President Philip’s as they were introduced. “It is a pleasure to meet you Colonel Taylor. I have heard so many good things about you from General Anderson.”

Nathan wasn’t sure what good things Anderson had told him, but he thanked him anyway. Asking them to sit, he waved over Annie, the waitress and his second cousin, who brought them iced tea as well. Besides water, and occasionally coffee, it was the only drink on the menu. Nathan took the liberty of ordering them all barbeque plates with extra hot sauce, knowing they would enjoy it and secretly hoping it was a little too hot for Clarence Anderson.

Anderson abruptly got down to business. “When were you planning to head back to the LBL Park?”

The question immediately put Nathan on the defensive. He’d been gone for years, and endured countless risks to get home. Now after only three days Anderson was pushing him. Nathan controlled himself. “I figured I would head back next week with the family.”

Reggie shifted uncomfortably, obviously picking up on Nathan’s tone. “Colonel Taylor, you misunderstand. We have a problem that we hope you can help us with that might delay your return. Can Lieutenant Colonel.,,,?”

He searched for the name and Anderson jumped in. “Buchannan. Lieutenant Colonel Harold Buchannan.”

“Yes. Can Lieutenant Colonel Buchannan handle things there for a few more weeks while you help us with an issue here?” asked Reggie.

“Well, I can tell you he is more than capable, but I don’t want to be away too long. We still have a lot of work to do. Perhaps we should begin with what the problem is and what I can do to help.”

Anderson agreed and quickly told Nathan about the interaction with Sampson the previous week. He left nothing out, not even Sampson’s offer to support a coup d’état by Anderson. He also described the strained relationship between the JP and the WTR and how Sampson had a much stronger and more capable military force. Sampson was in all regards a military dictator and had mobilized every available resource to his ends.

Nathan sat back in thought. He had of course heard about Sampson, but never in such stark terms.

“That is bad,” said Nathan. “But that doesn’t explain why you would want to delay my return. I would think you would want me there faster, to get our defenses ready.”