Part II, Chapter 1

General Clarence Anderson made his way down the hill towards a quaint little cabin near the water. Butch Matthews was with him, along with Captain Terry Johns, the National Guard commander in charge of the troops at the dam. Johns had been given very specific instructions and when he called Anderson telling him they might have found what he was looking for, Anderson didn’t waste time hitching the horse or getting on a bike. They drove.

Johns told him everything he knew, which was plenty. He also told him that the man they were meeting was none too happy about being detained, and Anderson certainly understood. He hoped it didn’t get in the way of their business. If the man was the unreasonable sort, he probably wasn’t who they were looking for anyway, thought Anderson.

They went around to the back of the cabin which faced the water and onto a wide deck that took full advantage of the wonderful view and the brilliant sunshine. It was cold, but the sun took away most of the bite of winter. He saw a relaxed guard nearby and a family of four at a wooden table. A dark attractive woman was working on a jigsaw puzzle with a handsome and smiling blond teenager. Anderson also saw a stocky man playing chess with a lean dark-haired teenager. The boy was up a few pieces, but his queen was in the center of the board and his pieces were not fully developed. The man was about to spring his trap. The teenager looked up at Anderson as he approached and immediately gave him a stern look which amused Anderson, although he did not show it.

Captain Johns walked to the middle of the group and said, “Good afternoon, Taylor family. Let me introduce Lieutenant General Clarence Anderson and Major General Butch Matthews. They have come a long way to meet you.”

Anderson could see the man forming angry words, but his beautiful wife jumped in gracefully, moving up in front of the two men. “Generals, it is my pleasure to meet you. I’m Bethany, my two boys Joshua and David, and my husband Nathan. As far as you’ve come to meet us, I bet we’ve come much further to meet you by a long-shot.” She smiled broadly and Anderson followed suit, breaking the tension.

Well done little lady, he thought.

Nathan approached the generals and held out his hand. “Good afternoon gentlemen, I am Nathan Taylor, most recently of Fort Meade, Maryland.”

Anderson and Butch shook his hand and then looked at each other before looking back at Nathan. “We are very pleased to meet you and coincidently that was exactly what we wanted to talk to you about.”

Anderson detected suspicion in Nathan's demeanor, although his face remained neutral. Nathan started to voice a question, but Butch turned to the woman, “Ma’am, would you mind terribly much if we borrowed your husband for a little bit? We promise to have him back to you soon.”

Bethany obviously a seasoned military spouse knew how things worked, “By all means, gentlemen, as a matter of fact I insist that you dine with us tonight.”

Anderson could see that this comment made Captain Johns uncomfortable and figured the Taylor family fare was pretty meager and the Captain probably thought unfit for the two visiting generals. The man would likely have a nervous breakdown trying to ensure there was a suitable feast that night.

“We would be delighted,” said Anderson, smiling broadly. “Now, with your permission.”

*******

The three went into the cabin and sat around the kitchen table. Johns and the guard stayed outside on the deck.

Anderson started to speak, but Nathan had evidently had enough, holding up his hand.

“Sir, I held my tongue out there for the sake of politeness, but now it's my turn to talk.”

 “Go ahead,” Anderson said with a resigned tone and sat back in his chair.