Part II, Chapter 7

Brazen wasn’t quite sure how the meeting was going to go and realized he was a little nervous. Lancourt had worked hard to set up a face-to-face with the Paducah mayor and Brazen now sat beside the pastor at a corner table in Little John’s Bar and Grill. Brazen knew Lancourt was slightly uncomfortable in the surroundings, but to his credit he didn’t show it.

Over the past few days the tension in the city had grown with even more violence and bloodshed foreseeable. Brazen knew the mayor was under pressure to do something, which was the only reason he was willing to meet with a gang leader. The mayor probably thought he was there to orchestrate a sort of peace, but Brazen had something totally different in mind.

Lancourt’s words had been working on Brazen’s heart since their earlier conversation and although Brazen wasn’t willing to totally accept what the pastor was telling him, he was willing to try. He was haunted by the memory of what Noni would have wanted him to do and how he sometimes thought she looked down upon him.

The other thing that drove him was a 3 x 5 index card in his wallet which he had carried with him since high school. On the card were two quotes which had always inspired, challenged, and at times comforted him. The second of the two quotes was the one he was thinking of now. It was by an Eighteenth Century British politician Edmund Burke. Burke stated that the only thing necessary for evil to triumph was for good men to do nothing. Brazen spent considerable time trying to figure out if he was the good man doing nothing, or part of the evil.

Little John’s Bar was what could be called neutral territory not really claimed by any rival gangs, or controlled by the city. It was a nice enough place and remained that way because the owner, John, a giant of a man and one-time professional wrestler, tolerated no monkey business. He always kept at least one large goon with a bat around to emphasize the point, today he had four. Brazen had talked to John ahead of time and assured him things would be fine, but John was taking no chances.

As for Brazen, he came to the meeting alone except for Lancourt, something he would not have even considered previously, but things were changing. For the better he hoped.

A large white passenger van pulled up outside the bar, and Brazen knew the mayor had arrived. Very few people could afford the extravagance of fuel, and any working vehicle attracted lots of attention. Brazen and Lancourt rode bikes themselves, with Brazen in a light disguise to protect him in transit.

Brazen expected the mayor to come with an escort but did not expect it to be as large as it was. Four state troopers in SWAT gear and assault rifles got out immediately and two entered the front of the bar while the others went around the building in opposite directions, presumably to check the outside of the building. The two men who entered walked in and without talking to anyone stalked through the bar checking out the kitchens, bathrooms, and offices in back. John’s heavies started to protest, but he held up a hand and no one said anything. The two men finally came over to Brazen and Lancourt.

“Are you two men Brazen Walker and Pastor Lancourt?” asked the one while the other covered him from a safe distance. His weapon wasn’t exactly pointed at them, but it wasn't far off, Brazen noticed.

“Yes, we are,” answered Lancourt.

The first trooper nodded. “Are either of you carrying any sort of weapon?”

“No, we’re not,” Brazen responded. “We didn’t think they would be needed.”

“Good thinking. Stand please and put your hands against the wall.”

Brazen stood while he was frisked thoroughly and then they did the same with Lancourt. Brazen thought about resisting but knew it would do no good. These men were under orders. They must have thought that he would be dumb enough to try something against the mayor here. It remained to be seen if the mayor might be dumb enough to try something against him.