Part III, Chapter 14

“This is Tim Reynolds of WKPO’s voice of the Jackson Purchase!” said the characteristically cheerful voice. “Today, we have a special treat. I have President Reggie Philips here to talk about all the dynamic happenings in the last few months, and what a time it has been! Welcome, sir.”

“Thank you very much, Tim,” said Reggie. “It’s good to be here.”

“Let’s start off with the most practical topic of discussion considering the broadcast, the repair of the dam and the return of electricity.”

“Yes, Tim, that is a wonderful thing and it’s due to the tireless efforts of many people,” said Reggie. “I want to thank all the men and women who helped with this project, and also mention the Murray State University Engineering Department, which played a key role.”

“We’ve heard rumors,” said Tim, “that the dam is working better than ever and it might mean a reduction, or even an end, of the blackout periods.”

“Yes, that is a possibility,” said Reggie, “but it’s too early to know for certain. We’re taking steps to slowly increase the loads on our systems and see what they can take and what is sustainable. The last thing we want to do it overload everything again.”

“Very exciting possibility,” said Tim. “Let’s turn to our other major topic, the surrender of the West Tennessee Republic following our stunning victories at the Battles of Fulton and Kentucky Dam. Tell me Reggie, how did you feel when that moment finally came and you knew it was over?”

“It was a wonderful feeling,” said Reggie, “but I also want to let everyone know that the WTR has suffered terribly under the brutal dictatorship of General Sampson. They were just as much victims of his aggression and ambition as we were, and now that he is gone, they can go on towards peaceful and productive lives. I also want to thank all the people of the JP for their sacrifice during this trying time including the citizens of Paducah who had to fight off a surprise invader and did so against overwhelming odds.”

Tim was nodding as Reggie spoke, flipping through a notebook, “Reggie, I’ve been looking over the peace treaty and it’s clear that the JP made out quite well, particularly in gaining territory. How do you see those new lands and people fitting in with us?”

“Thanks, Tim,” said Reggie. “I’m glad you brought that up. First of all, let me state that acquiring territory was never a goal of ours, but something we decided was necessary to secure our southern border. Before, the border was an arbitrary line on a map, now it is tied to key terrain which will make the border more permanent.

"I want to stress to everyone that our newest citizens of the newly acquired territory, in addition to those of New Harvest County, are full and equal citizens of the JP and should be treated as such. Any person who treats one of these differently is not only acting selfishly, but not in the best interests of the whole. The war is now over, and it will take work for us to move forward, but move forward we must.”

“Reggie, I’ve also read and heard that following the upcoming elections, we’ll no longer be called the Jackson Purchase. Can you talk a little about that?”

“Sure, Tim,” said Reggie. “I’m sure everyone knows that the JP was never really an official name of any sort of government, but was only initially intended to designate a geographic area. Due to the need to settle a peace treaty with the WTR, it became evident that we had to establish a more formal government and give it a name. The name ‘JP’ didn’t work because parts of the new territories were outside this geographical area. After much deliberation, it was decided that the new name of our nation, and rest assured that is what we are now, will be called Kentahten.”

“Say again?”

“Ken-tah-ten,” said Reggie slowly. “It was actually the Iroquoian Indian name for this area before early settlers Anglicized the name to Kentucky. Kentahten means ‘Land of Tomorrow’ in Iroquois and we couldn’t think of a more fitting name for our new endeavor.

“Kentahten. And what sort of government can we expect?” asked Tim. “If I understand correctly, that hasn’t been fully ironed out.”

“On the contrary,” said Reggie, “the county executives right now are finishing up a document that will be to us, what the Constitution was to early America. As a matter of fact, much of it is based on the Constitution. Essentially the county executives and their council will remain in place to run the counties, but we will also have a unicameral senate with three elected representatives from each county. This group will be the senior law-making body of the government. They are also working to solidify the existing court system to give it more permanent authority.”

“Speaking of elections,” said Tim, “I understand that you are to be sworn in as the acting president of this new government until the actual elections are conducted. Is that true and are you planning to run for re-election?”

“Yes,” said Reggie, “that is true. I will be installed as soon as the new government document is approved and signed by all the country representatives. I have been asked to let my name be on the ballot for the position when those elections occur in the next few weeks, and I have agreed. As far as campaigning, I’ve never much liked it myself, so don’t expect to see me out there drumming up votes, especially since I’m still helping my wife to recover.”

“Yes, very nasty business that was,” said Tim distastefully, “and you’ve asked me not to talk about the assassination attempt, so we’ll move on, but elections in a few weeks?” asked Tim. “Do you think that will be enough time to get elections set up?”

“We believe so,” said Reggie. “We also believe it should be a priority to legitimize our new government. Although I was the elected Lieutenant Governor of Kentucky, I’ve not really been elected to anything here, so the people need to decide on their own.”

“Oh, I can’t see how you could lose sir, or who would vote against you.”

“That remains to be seen. If I’m re-elected, it will be my honor to continue to serve; and if not, I will do all in my power to support the people’s choice.”

“One more topic, since we’re running out of time,” said Tim hurriedly. “Tell the listeners about the new currency that is due to come out soon.”

“Yes,” said Reggie. “That’s another aspect of the new government that will take effect soon. I’m sure everyone has noticed that although a barter system may meet our basic needs it makes it rather difficult to conduct business. We will soon begin circulating paper dollars that are backed up by a huge supply of iron from the mines in New Harvest. As you know, iron has become an extremely precious commodity. Rest assured that these paper dollars will retain their value and can be trusted and exchanged for iron at any time.”

“Reggie, we’ve only got a few minutes left. Is there anything else you would like to say to the listeners out there?”

“Yes I would,” said Reggie. “I just wanted to again say how very proud I am to be one of you today. We have become a community and have stood many tests in the past few weeks. We have proven that we are strong and capable of much when we work together.

"My friends, never forget this moment or what we are capable of, especially now as we embark as a new nation. These are exciting times, and proof that humanity can salvage itself out of the chaos and destruction that is all around us. I applaud you all and thank you from the bottom of my heart.”

Tim nodded and smiled. “Thank you very much Mister Philips, for your time and your sentiments which I’m sure most of us share today. A proud day for everyone in the JP. Remember it well. This is Tim Reynolds signing off for now as the voice of the JP. Stay strong friends.”