ₜᵢₘₑ

57....

58...

59..

Her eyes were glued on the thin red line representing each second that passed, rotating around the analog clock mounted on the ugly ivory wallpaper that was already peeling off.

4:15 PM

"45 more minutes 'til we can leave this shithole." y/n mumbled, shifting all her weight onto the glass countertop where she prompted her elbows.

A chuckle shortly followed. "Hey, just a reminder that you could've quit a while ago if you wanted to." taunted a raspy voice, on the right side of y/n.

She turned around, unimpressed, examining her 6'0" shaggy black haired co-worker who doubled as her childhood best friend.

"Kai, you and I both know damn well you wouldn't survive it here if I left. Might as well consider this charity work"

A subtle grin formed on Kai's face, simultaneously shaking his head, back turned to y/n as he carefully takes out a well-crafted 14 inch pepperoni pizza from the rectangular silver oven which takes up majority of the space behind the counter.

"Well, y/n, what if I left? It's not like I have to stay here. Though, of course, I wouldn't do that to you." He carefully packaged the pizza in a cardboard box, handing it to the little boy across the counter. "Thank you Sir!"

Y/n rolled her eyes in disgust "how can people eat this garbage?", completely evading her co-worker's question.

The little boy gave her a look of pity, before skipping out the store cramped with dozens of aisles, lights flickering around him, before he reunited with his mom outside.

"You know, this doesn't exactly align with my idea of what post-graduation should've looked like for me" y/n sighed

Kai stood next to her, resting one arm on the counter, the other one rubbing circles around her back

"Just give college a second chance, I guarantee you'll at least be 1% less miserable."

"God, you suck at counselling, you know." Y/n stood up straight, pushing Kai's arm away.

The two continued tending to their job

57...

58...

59...

4:30 PM

A tall, middle-aged man with poor posture approached the front counter. His eyes were sunken in deep in his skull, dark circles surrounded almost as if he hadn't slept for weeks. His eyelids drooped low and he could barely keep his balance, holding onto the other side of the glass countertop for support.

Y/n moved back, eyeing the customer in front of her carefully. He struggled to lift a 6 pack of Corona (( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)) beer on the surface, as if he had no control of his limbs. His mouth slowly parted, the scent of alcohol infiltrating y/n's sense of smell.

"I only got 5 bucks" The man almosted mumbled, before reaching into his wallet and sliding a wrinkled 5 dollar bill across to y/n