ᵥₑᵣᵢₜy

Returning back to work after a staggering evening just hours prior feels like one of those moments.. you know, the ones comparable to waking up the day after Christmas.. Or like, going home after the last day of middle school.

A shift in mood dawned upon y/n quick, when in what felt like a blink of an eye, she was back behind the register.

"Hey, you alright?" A voice danced around her, getting from one side of the room to the other.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" she questioned her workmate.

"My bad. You kind of zoned out there... you've been doing that pretty much all day, now that I think about it" Kai mentioned whilst wiping down the slurpee bar, getting it ready for the day after.

"Man, you shouldn't expect any more from me. It's not like there's anything to be interested in here, no?" She lowered her head to check her phone. It was already 4:55.

"I guess that's fair."

Her eyes were fixated on the clear glass doors, piercing through to observe the occasional pedestrians that would pass by once or twice every minute.

"Hey, mind getting ready for closing? It's been far too long, he's not gonna come in." Kai explained bluntly

"What?" She tried to pretend she had no clue what he was referring to, but deep down inside she was completely defeated.

7 hours 55 minutes passed by since the start of her shift, and not once did a certain 5'10" cowboy with a stupid looking short beard walk in to greet the worker.

Of course, she knew he wasn't obligated to walk through those doors specifically to see her, but she couldn't help but be disappointed. In truth, it was refreshing to have another friend besides Kai.

"You know exactly who I'm talking about." Kai walked across the counter so he was face to face with his friend. "You're obviously sad he didn't come visit you or whatever."

The term sad was a bit of a stretch. Sure she had her hopes crushed, but saying she's sad about the guy's absence is the overestimate of the century. The brutal reality of this tale is that though they've shared a some sort of moment in some tree, doesn't mean he's automatically been boosted up to the top of y/n's... priorities, if you can call it that?

He was just another guy to her. A friend.

"Well it's not like he's forced to, is he? I don't see myself holding him at gunpoint or anything." Her tone was a bit snappy, though that wasn't any new at all this week.

"Just because it isn't an obligation doesn't mean you can't be sad about it." He was quick to fire back, as if he'd rehearse this entire argument in the back of his mind.

"Why would I be sad?" A hint of anger was building up in her head, and it was heavily reflecting off herself through her voice.

"You've clearly fallen for this guy, you're like obsessed, going on dates and everything."

Y/n shook her head, chewing on her bottom lip, her head getting clouded.

"I've only known him for what, 4 days?"

"Oh, so you've been counting?" He shot back, no hesitation "What, are you in love with this guy or something?"

"You're being so irrational, Kai. I don't understand why this is even a topic of argument."

"Y/n, I know you better than you know yourself. I've seen how you are when you've legitimately fallen for a guy, and this is exactly what it looks like."