ᵢₙₜₑᵣₗᵤdₑ

In the midst of playing a couple rounds of R6, rocket league, and animal crossing to spice things up, y/n's phone had started to go off very late in the hour.

She lifted her large puppy off of her lap where he'd been resting, gently laying him down to the side of her as she raced to reach the phone situated at the dining room table.

What felt like countless rings passed by until she was able to pick up, agonizing the individual waiting at the other side.

She glanced down at the screen, reading the contact name she'd set for Kai. She hasn't heard from him all day, and she felt her heart starting to race.

With shaky hands, she answered,

"Hello? Kai? Is everything okay, I haven't gotten ahold of-"

She was interrupted by raspy coughing, not knowing if she should continue.

The silence extended on for a minute or so, with worry overtaking y/n's entire mind.

Kai's heavy breathing acted as white noise, piercing through her ears until he attempted to speak, but only let out a series of incoherent stutters.

"You're drunk, aren't you" she took a seat at the dining table, hand digging into her hair as she listened to her friend hum in agreement

It was only a matter of seconds before muffled sobs had started to fill the silence.

She didn't speak, she just let her friend liberate everything that's been bottling up within him the entire day.

He was emotionally hurt, and in the back of y/n's head she knows why, but she didn't want to be the one to bring it up.

As the minutes passed, more sniffles, groans, and diluted sobs passed through.

Y/n opened her mouth to console the boy in sorrow, but...

"Why won't you look at me the way you look at him..?"

These words pierced into her heart, a sharp pain sinking deeper and deeper within her system.

She struggled to open her mouth to respond, but he'd continue his dialogue before she had the chance to say anything.

"It's never gonna be me, is it y/n? Each and every single time you fall in love, it's never gonna be me to love you back."

"It isn't... it's not like that-"

"It is exactly like that. It's like that to the extent where you'rrrrre-y-you're willing to give a stranger you barely know a chance, but not me."

Immense guilt built up within' y/n's conscience, heart pounding uncontrollably. "Kai, can we please... talk about this when you're sober?"

"No, I don't think I could to handle it if I were sober.." he paused, breathing in and out a few times, "I've watched you date the wrong guys so many times, so when will you finally realize the right one's been in front of you this whole damn time."

"Kai-"

"I'm fucking crazy for you, borderline obsessed, y/n. I'm so tired of my entire universe revolving around some sick fantasy I'll never be able to grasp in my hands."