Chapter 25

You know that feeling when the teacher asks you to repeat what she was talking about and you don't know what to reply because you've been daydreaming about Brad Pitt for the last 30 minutes of class?

Well, that's how I felt right now. Dumfounded. Perplexed. Mute.

Michael just asked me to marry him? We've only been dating for 6 months! The people sitting around us were cheering and waiting anxiously for what I was going to say.

"Hannah?" Michael calls out as he stands up.

His voice pulls me from abyss and I stare at him pleadingly.

"I'm sorry Michael." I tell him and run out of the restaurant without looking back.

I forget to bring my coat with me so I'm left wandering the dark cold streets with a very thin dress. My thoughts are like scattered papers that can't be caught.

Michael is a nice guy, heck he's the best guy out there. He cares about me, he makes me feel safe and comfortable. He's all I ever wanted in a guy. So why say no? I mean technically I didn't even give him an answer.

"Hannah!" I hear a deep voice calling from behind me. Michael's voice is even in my thoughts!

"Hannah wait up, please!" When I hear it another time I realize the voice is real.

But I ignore him. I have to.

I pick up my pace and start running down the street to find a taxi nearby. To my convenience it starts raining cats and dogs, and everything becomes more difficult.

I can still hear his calls from behind me and I realize that if I wait for a taxi to come my plan for leaving him behind is ruined.

I have a solution that's buried in the back of my head. I don't want to bring it up because I know it's stupid. But it's either that or having to explain myself to Michael using actual words.

"Yep, Plan B it is." I mumble to myself as I pick out my phone from my purse.

I wait for a few seconds until the beeping noise stops and a voice from the other side of the call is heard.

"Hannah? What a pleasant surprise. Is everything okay?" His deep but relaxed tone vibrates through the phone speakers.

"Jack, no time for chit chat. I need you. Please come pick me up. 23rd Avenue." I explain still trying to catch my breath.

"What? Why? What's going on?" He asks, this time worry plaguing his tone.

"Ok bye!" I say ignoring his concerns and ending the call.

A few minutes later and his black SUV is parked down the street. He quickly gets out of the car and runs over to me.

"Hannah! Oh my god, I'm so glad you're okay. What happened?" He asks while at the same time catching his breath.

"You came." I smile. After everything and I can still have his shoulder to lean on.

"Of course I did." He returns the smile back.

There were no words or a possible way to explain what I am about to do. But I do it either way.

I lean towards him as I raise myself using my toes and place my lips on his. Something inside of me has been yearning for his touch for a very long time, and it has taken control over me.

It was like that lingering sparkle inside a worn out lantern that is set on fire and becomes a blaze. It's untamed. No control.

He returns it quickly after he had passed the "i'm in shock that you kissed me after I thought you left me to be with that British scumbag, but I'm still liking it" phase.

But suddenly my frontal lobe decides to use its reason again and it distinguishes that blaze that was set in fire not a minute ago.

I pull back, but my eyes remain locked with his.

"Oh my god. I'm so sorry. What- who am I?" I say in shock. Now I'm looking down in shame.

His fingers hold my chin and pull my head back up so that I can look him in the eye.

"You're Hannah Nadia Simmons. The most gorgeous and intelligent human being to ever exist. You're a gem in a pool of rocks. A pearl in a field of sand." He smiles at me.

"Jack. I- I don't know what I'm doing anymore." I say.

"Come on, let's take you home. We can talk about this tomorrow." He says turning me around slowly and placing his hand behind my back to guide me towards the car.

Tomorrow it is then.

__________________

SHORT BUT GOLD 😘

Hope you guys enjoyed it!!

Please don't forget to vote and comment. IT MEANS SO MUCH TO ME.

Love you all!

Xo LD