PART 1: How It All Began; Chapter 1

Present Time

I sat down on the toilet seat nervously intertwining my fingers as I impatiently waited for three minutes to pass. Which quite frankly felt like three years.

*beep beep*

The timer went off, oh my God.

I nervously pick up the stick oblivious to what destiny beholds for me as I slowly open my eyes.

Two lines, positive.

Oh my God.

****

4 Years Ago

"Come on!!" Venessa, my best friend screamed annoyingly.

"I said no. You know I have exams next week and I can't afford to go to some stupid rich people soirée." I retorted. I couldn't medical school was too important for me.

"Hannah, you have been working hard since high school, take a break once in a while." Venessa replied pleadingly. "Come on Hannah, EVERYONE will be there, all the business CEOs, fashion brand representatives, even the god-damn president!"

"Your point?" I replied carelessly, seriously what is the point of these parties anyway, it's all just rich, entitled people with fake plastered smiles on their faces.

"And I don't want to go alone, you know how awkward things have been between Brad and I." She continued attempting to gain sympathy.

Brad, owner of The Fritz hotels or also known as Venessa's 5-year boyfriend. That's a record considering Venessa's dating span is 2 weeks. They met during our senior year in high school and they've been in love since then. But ever since the "doorman" incident things have been going downhill for them. There were rumors going on that Venessa and our apartment's doorman were having an affair. After those rumors were disproved, the tabloids decided to switch it up and say it was rather Brad and the doorman. People are messed up.

"Ughhhh, fine you are such a nuisance!" I replied in defeat. If I knew my best friend well, which I do, I know she will keep persisting until I comply to her demand.

"Oh my god, I love you so much Hannah, thank you!" She replied with excitement. "And don't worry I've got just the perfect dress for you!"

***
1 day and 8 hours later

"Holy cow, you look gorgeous!" Venessa pointed out in shock.

I quickly moved over to the mirror and looked at the reflection, my reflection. I could not decipher whether that was really me. I'm usually just in a pair of jeans, sneakers and a hoodie. At most, when I'm really feeling it, which is very rare, I would wear a denim skirt; but this, never.

I looked at the women in the mirror. She wore a silver 2 piece dress. Beneath that were pointy high heels and she was decorated with a pair of diamond earrings and patted with makeup. She was beautiful.

"Thanks Venessa, you didn't have to do all this

"Thanks Venessa, you didn't have to do all this." I replied shyly.

"Of course I have to do it, what are best friends for?!" Venessa replied happily.

***
At The Fritz.

Wow, this place is huge. Venessa's boyfriend sure as hell is lucky, and so is she. We enter the hotel that is polluted with paparazzi and media broadcasts, it was chaotic.

"Venessa!" Brad called out from a distance as he walked over to us. "Hannah? Now who the hell was able to convince Dr. crazy pants over here to attend an event like this?!" he said in utter shock and disbelief, which was justified as it really was a rare moment for me.

"Well hello to you too." I reply sarcastically as a I smack his arm.

"You won't imagine how hard it was, it took years, blood and sweat for this moment to happen!" Venessa replied, obviously exaggerating.

"Ha. Ha." I roll my eyes at them. "Well, I'll leave you two, I see a shrimp bar there and I like it." I say as I start to make my way to the bar.

"So..." I hear Venessa say from a distance.

"So..." Brad replies.

Awkward. I think to myself, when will they get over it?

~

I quickly grab a plate and walk over to the shrimp bar as I begin to fill my plate. I'll only take three, or maybe five, you know what seven won't hurt. After all, omega-3 is beneficial to our coronary arteries. After filling up my plate with what I think is 7 (or 10) shrimps, I turn around to make my way to the tables, but before I could take another step I bump into a tall hard wall. But when I heard it speak, I came to the realization that it wasn't a wall after all, it was a man.

"Watch where you're goi-" the man stops mid sentence as he glances into my soul, I mean eyes.

"Ugh, get off your high horse, how about you watch where you're standing!" I say as I push him away. "Oh gosh my shrimps!" I exclaim melancholically. They sacrificed their lives in the ocean to be thrown on the floor.

Just as I'm about to pick them up to throw them away he grabs my arms. "Don't, the staff can clean it up."

"Seriously, how much more arrogant can rich people get!" I shout in anger as I start to pick up the shrimps. "You do something wrong you pay for it, not others, that's life for most of us okay!"

"Whatever." he walks away carefully making sure to not step on a shrimp.

"What a pig." I whisper to myself.

"What was that?" He stops midway and turn back to me.

"Nothing." I reply, I don't know this guy and I don't want to provoke someone I don't know.

"That's what I thought." he replies with a smirk.

"That's what I thought." I mimic quietly to myself.

"Did you say something?"

What the hell what kind of ears does this guy have? "No." I reply rolling my eyes.

Before he could say something I get up with my poor shrimps on the plate.

"Throw these out to the cats will you?" I tell him cheekily.
Without allowing him to reply I hand the plate to him and walk away. Ain't no one going to try to intimidate me like that.

...
To be continued
...
______________________________
Author's note:
Hey guys I hope you liked the first chapter! I am super exited about writing this book and I have so many ideas and drama in mind! Enjoy the reading 😁.