thirty four.

MID AUGUST
1995

THIRTY FOUR.

Cara had just begun her night shift on the Hogwarts hospital wing when she received the proposal. Dumbledore had loudly burst through the doors — much to the fury of Poppy Pomfrey — as she was putting a quidditch-injured fourth year Slytherin to bed, pulling her aside and formally requesting her to join the Order of the Phoenix. At first she was hesitant, but hearing of her father's involvement she rapidly backpedalled, and agreed to take part.

That lead her to standing on the doorstep of her estranged family's childhood residence two months later. Double checking she had the correct address once more, her fears were subsided when a long arm pulled her inside.

"You'll catch your death girl." Sirius sighed, shutting out the chilly nighttime air.

"Dad!" She cried and threw her arms around him, which he duly returned as squashed her into a hug.

The last time she had seen him was his disappearance on Buckbeak back in seventh year. By now he had bathed, sorted out his matted hair and spruced himself up. He looked wildly different, but still had the same cheeky twinkle in his eyes.

The moment he had flown away on Buckbeak, he was furious at the way he had treated Cara. As soon as he was in safety, he drafted up a four page long letter — much to the dismay of the owl he chose to deliver it — apologising profusely and begging for forgiveness. When she explained how happy Remus had made her, he dropped all prejudice against them and gave them his immediate blessing. Cara never told him about what happened that day, and instead just refrained from mentioning him in her letters. Sirius assumed she was doing it respectfully, considering his and Remus's patched up friendship. Never once did it cross his mind that Remus broke his daughter's heart.

True to his word, Remus and Cara had not interacted from the moment she left his office that morning. Alone in the carriage, Remus sobbed all the way home. Cara went straight to Anastasia, who noticed her tear stained face. She didn't have to say a word for Stassie to understand, and instead was consoled by her all evening.

By now, she was long over what happened. Hearing his name still made her uncomfortable, but she no longer felt the urge to cry when he was mentioned, and their memories together had been wiped from her brain like a hard drive. If only the same could be said for Remus.

"Come on through, Mrs Weasley is making dinner." He instructed, holding out his hand for her to take.

Leading her through the halls, the building was foul. It had all the character and joie de vivre of a funeral parlour, with dark grey walls and black floors. Cara was unsure if it was damaged by fire it was so bleak, but she powered through, following the sound of clammer in the kitchen.

As she took a step, the side of her boot caught on an umbrella stand, causing a crash. A loud, screeching voice rippled down her ear canal, frightening the life out of her.

"Halfbloods, traitors! Bringing shame upon my home, vile little — "

Sirius leapt over to the source of the screaming, which was revealed to be a portrait of a woman. The lady had a permanent stare of distaste, particularly at Sirius.

"For fuck's sake mother, belt up." Sirius seethed, shimmying curtains to shield the woman's view.

"Mother?" Cara exclaimed, finally removing her hands from their role as ear defenders.

"Your lovely grandmother Walburga Black." He sighed resentfully.

"What a cow." Cara sneered, causing Sirius to chuckle.