four.

FOUR.

Mindless chatter filled the classroom as friends caught up with each other after months apart. It was the first class of the year, and Cara could barely contain her excitement. Not because she was particularly a massive fan of defence against the dark arts, it was more that she was becoming a fan of the new teacher.

"Does anyone know if he's any good?" A random Slytherin student piped up, calling everyone's attention. "After the last two years I actually want a decent teacher."

"Did we ever get those bloody essays for Lockhart back?" Someone else asked, met with a sea of confusion when students realised that they indeed hadn't received the essays from last year.

As students murmured and mumbled, the door to the class burst open and in came the new teacher.

"Good morning!" His voice was cheery and he almost floated to the front he moved so fast. He slammed his briefcase down on his desk before taking a look at his class with a smile. "Lupin, Professor Lupin."

He looked different from when he was on the train. More awake, but still just as excited. The scar in his eyebrow was prominent, even as Cara sat at the back. He also seemed to have put some effort in, and didn't seem so shabby anymore.

"As I'm brand new, I figured you can come up in turns whilst I give you those essays back Lockhart so generously left for me to deal with from last year. That way I get to know you a bit." He proposed. "Whilst you're waiting your turn, you can catch up with each other and start thinking revision strategies."

His plan seemed to go down well, most of the students appeared happy with what he had suggested.

Students quickly fell into conversation with each other as Lupin read out students name's. Stassie was third to be called up, what with her surname being so high up in the register. He spent a good few minutes getting to know each student as they passed one by one, as well as give them feedback on the essays.

"He said I have beautiful handwriting." Stassie whispered as she sat back down next to Cara. "No one's ever called anything of mine beautiful." The girl was positively glowing. 

"Well he's right, you're the prettiest girl here."

A few more students were called up as Cara watched him intensely. He used his hands a lot when he spoke, completely the opposite of how he was in the carriage, where he kept them clasped and trapped between his knees. He appeared to genuinely care about his work, unlike last year's teacher, who definitely only took the job as a boost to his already massive ego.

"Miss Fitch? Cara?" Lupin called as the previous student walked back to his seat.

As she stood from her table, a smile grew on his face when he realised who she was.

"Hello sir." She grinned and sat down at his desk, placing her hands awkwardly under her legs.

"You're astonishing I must say, absolutely A grade work. I can't fault it." He told her, sliding her papers over to her.

"You're serious?" She asked in disbelief.

"Why on earth wouldn't I be?" He asked her, smile faltering and hands quickly hidden under the table.

"Oh, it's just last year, Lockhart said I didn't quite have the concept properly. I thought he was going to fail me."

"Well then the man's an idiot Cara." Lupin spoke hushed, like he didn't want anyone else to hear as he leant further in.

She didn't know what to say. She'd never had so many compliments in such a short space of time before. The way he pronounced her name was so elegant, she wanted him to say it ten times more.