forty.

FORTY.

"This isn't flu."

"Yes it is."

"Flu doesn't consist of four weeks of nausea Cara!" Stassie screamed.

Screeching at each other from opposing side of the flat's living room, girls were having their first proper argument in four years. The topic was a little more serious now that they were adults, with poorly timed jokes seemingly the last of their worries. Tonks was sat on the sofa in the middle of it all, wishing she was anywhere else but there.

"You know I get sick when I don't sleep, it'll be that." She protested.

"Cara, all you fucking do these days is sleep." Stass snapped. "You're permanently napping."

"Well I am working two bloody fucking jobs here!"

"So am I!"

After the first few days of feeling run down, Cara had expected to get better like the students she caught it from had. However, there was no change in her for a further month. She had blamed it on flu, food poisoning, tiredness and stress. She had even tried attributing it to a hangover, but she was quickly uncovered as being completely sober. Worry had set in amongst those who loved her, yet she seemed to be unphased.

"You know what it is." Stass snapped, pacing around with her hands on her hips as she always did when angry. "We all know what it is, you're just too much of a pussy to — "

"Stass!" Tonks hissed quietly under her breath as she saw Cara's eyes widen. "Shut up."

"Why should she?" Cara fought back, speaking as calmly as possible. "I want to hear every last fucking word she has to say."

No one dared open their mouth as Cara stood waiting for someone to speak. She rarely got angry, but when she did it was not the most pleasant of experiences. Not one for screaming and shouting, when she reached the point where she snapped, she would become calm, just to irk her opponent even more.

"Remus is really worried about you Cara." Tonks was more gentle in her approach, offering her a kind smile. "We all want you to get better."

"She'll be better in nine months." Stass was bitter in her tone.

"You just can't drop it, can you?" Cara cried. "There's nothing wrong with me! I'm worried about Harry and stressed from all the work and travelling."

"Cara — "

"I'm going to headquarters."

In seconds she was slamming the front door to the flat behind her. Collapsing down on the sofa beside Tonks, Stassie burst into tears. Fussing over her, Tonks did her best to console the girl, but it was hopeless.

"Why can't that stupid bitch see how much I care about her?" Stassie sobbed.

Tonks pulled her into a hug, letting her cry into the fabric of her top. Leaving gentle kisses on the top of her head, feeling Stass shake with tears broke her heart.

"Well, maybe you didn't present it that well this morning." Tonks teased her. "She'll come around, just give her time."

"I know. It's just so obvious but she wants to act blind all the time."

"I think she knows Stass, she's just scared to come to terms with it. Wouldn't you be?" She bargained, trying to get her to see it from Cara's point of view.

"No!" Stass sat up in protest, wiping away her tears. "She's got so many people that adore her and want to help her. Remus, me, her mum, Tony, Sirius, you. The list is endless!"