thirty seven.

THIRTY SEVEN.

"Bill? Bill?"

Silence. Sighing with irritation, Cara placed the final candle on top of the three tiered cake she had so lovingly prepared. Wiping remnants of the icing on a tea towel, she tiptoed to the kitchen door, where Bill was supposed to be hiding.

"William — " She kicked him in the shin. " — Arthur — " Another kick. " — Weasley. Are you deaf?"

"I'm sorry, I've been trying to protect the kitchen!" He hissed in defence. "What's wrong?"

"Has your mum got any matches?" She asked, leaning in the doorway. "It's all finished."

"Oh! Let us have a look!" Barging past her, Bill let himself in to admire her artwork.

On the worktop was a beautiful homemade birthday cake. Smooth lilac icing adorned the outside, whilst the batter was flickered with colourful confetti. In cursive white writing, the cake read happy birthday stassie, with a heart underneath. Cara had thrown all her energy into her masterpiece, and she was rather proud of the results.

"Fucking hell Fitch, that's professional!" He exclaimed in delight, wrapping his arm around her shoulder and shaking her. "I don't think we have any matches, but don't panic."

Pulling his wand from his back pocket, Bill aimed the fire charm at the wick of the candles, instantly lighting them for her. With the finishing touches done, pride washed over her.

"Thanks dickhead." She smiled, resting her head on his shoulder briefly. "Come on then, get the doors."

Bill rushed to her aid and held the kitchen door open for her whilst she carefully balanced the cake on its plate. They tiptoed down the hallway towards the living room, in which Anastasia was thanking everyone for her abundance of presents. Carefully pushing the door open, Bill gave her a reassuring nod before she headed in.

"Oi, birthday girl." Cara smirked with glee, seeing the look of delight grow on Stassie's face at the sight of the cake. "Happy birthday."

Those in attendance at the party clamoured around her and began to sing happy birthday. Cara placed the cake down on the coffee table in front of Stass, who was blushing red out of happiness. A cheer rippled through the living room as she blew out all nineteen candles, struggling to restrain her tears at the overwhelming love she was receiving.

"Thank you so much." Stassie threw her arms around Cara and whispered in her ear. "I don't deserve you."

"You deserve everything my love." She landed a kiss on Stass's cheek before Molly handed her a knife to cut the cake.

Handing out portions to partygoers, Cara was awash with compliments as everyone enjoyed their slice of cake. Even the Weasley twins didn't have a witty comeback for her as they ate their cake like they'd never eat again.

"Why didn't you say you're a star baker?" Sirius mumbled through mouthfuls of sponge cake. "This is fucking incredible!"

"Thank you." She blushed, not knowing quite how to accept compliments. "If you said you liked cake this much I would've made you one for escaping prison."

"Shut up you."

Sirius was soon taken away by Ron and Hermione — who had appeared out of nowhere but instantly brightened the room — as they wanted to talk to him about Harry a little more. Cara was left alone in the living room, watching the others engage in conversation. Scanning the room, she realised just how happy everyone was for once. The threat of Voldemort wasn't looming over people's shoulders, they could just be free for the night. She was so engrossed in her own thoughts that she didn't even feel someone approach her.