eight.

EIGHT.

Cara barely slept a wink that night. The combined excitement of her impending eighteenth birthday and her eagerness for the private lesson with Lupin had her tossing and turning into the small hours.

Her birthday breakfast was utterly divine. Dumbledore had managed to obtain some of her favourite summer berries jam from the local shop near her home, much to her awe. All of her teachers were polite and kind to her that day, with Snape even letting it slide that she hadn't completed her homework essay for him. Yet, the feeling of butterflies remained in the pit of her stomach as she remembered her after dinner plans.

"Have you had anything from your family?" Oliver Wood asked her from across the dining table, shouting over the loud voices.

Cara nodded, waiting to finish chewing her roast potato before replying. "This necklace — " She gestured to the golden calendula that sat round her neck. " — it's the October birth flower. Also they sent some more photos of my sister."

"Christ! I almost forgot!" Stassie gasped, her mouth still full of potatoes and gravy. "Here!"

Out of her robe pocket, Stassie thrust a tatty book in the direction of her best friend.

"Happy birthday Cara darling, I love you."

It was full of moving photographs of the two best friends from over the years, with one in particular of Stassie leaving a sloppy kiss on her best friend's cheek as Cara laughed heartily.

"It's not much, but — "

"It's perfect."

Cara embraced her friend, almost squeezing the life and soul out of her. Their touching moment didn't last forever, and Cara soon felt a soft tap on her left shoulder.

"Cara?" Harry cleared his throat painfully awkwardly. "Professor Lupin asked me to get you."

"Professor Lupin?" Stassie teased, giving Cara an over exaggerated wink.

"Shut up you, he's just giving us some extra tutoring." She sighed, standing up and leaving the last of her food for the others to eat the scraps from like foxes.

"Dirty whore." Stassie teased.

"I'll see you later!"

Cara gestured for Harry to take the lead, which he dutifully did as he guided them out of the great hall. He had so many questions for the girl, he almost didn't know where to start.

"You alright?" She broke the silence for him. "You seem troubled."

"Why do they keep coming for us? When it's Black they're meant to be after?" Harry blurted.

"God alone knows. I think it's just a case of wrong place, wrong time." She tried to reassure him. "Don't stress, he's a good teacher."

"I know that, believe me." Harry sighed, almost in awe. "He saved my life on the train."

"You and me both Harry."

After what felt like walking a marathon around the school, Harry finally stopped and knocked on a large door. Remus's voice could be heard from inside calling him in.

"Sir, I brought Cara." Harry spoke, staring up at their teacher as she slammed the door behind them.

Remus emerged from behind a large column as he walked along a grand balcony. He was more dressed down than usual, wearing a rather large cardigan instead of his usual teaching robe.

"Now, are you sure you both want to do this?" He asked, leaning on the balcony peering down at them.

Both Harry and Cara nodded.