5.2

"Sienna," Ramos begins. "I know for a sure fact yer aunt didn't just let yeh out like this."

"Well she didn't stop me." That's not a lie.

"I'm sure she tried." I shook my head 'no'. I'm still not lying. She didn't try.

Ramos sighs. "Yeh know, sprout, yeh weren't even suppose to be sent to yer aunt. Yeh were suppose to stay in Lumiose, but yer aunt insisted she could take care of yeh."

"And she did." Not. "But she thought it would be a good idea to let me go on a journey like a normal kid." Still not a lie. She did say it before. I pet Averie behind her ear. "There's nothing wrong with me Ramos."

"I know, sprout," he says sincerely. "I've never thought there was anything wrong with yeh. But yeh know I have to tell-"

"No you don't," I say quickly, my grip becoming tighter on Averie. "You don't need to tell him."

He frowns. "Sienna, he won't be too happy to know yeh're out and about. I know the two of yeh have had a rough history. I don't know all the details, or even half of them, but I'm sure deep down he cares for yeh."

"I'm inclined to believe otherwise."

"Whether yeh believe it or not, it's true. At least from what I see. He just wants to protect yeh." I scoff inwardly at that. Ramos has a worried look. I suppose I should at least attempt to make him not worry.

"Ramos, remember that we're on a journey. Since Cerise does gym battles we have no choice but to go to Snowbelle. I promise you I'll talk to him."

He raises an eyebrow. "Promise?"

I nod. "Swear it. Just please don't tell him. Who knows how he might take it "

"Alright, sprout," Ramos says, finally smiling. "I promise not to tell. Just be a good girl, yeh hear. Don't worry; there's nobody against yeh. We're all here to protect yeh." I smile and nod.

"Yes sir. Well I guess I should be leaving soon." Gijit runs over to me and nuzzles my hand. "Don't worry bout, I'll see you again really soon. I promise." Whether I can keep it or not, well... we'll just have to wait and see. I bend down to hug the grass type.

"Good night, Ramos," I call as I stand back up and walk towards the slide.

"Good night, sprout. Be careful."

"Yes sir," I say. And then I'm sliding down the winding plane. It isn't as fun as I remember, thought that may be because my mind is preoccupied. As a young girl I always went down this path carefree.

I make it to the bottom. There are a couple of trainers there, I guess for a battle. One is accompanied by a Litleo, an untrained one at that. I laugh. Good luck defeating Ramos.

- - - - -

We set off the next morning. I would've have loved to stay in town for a while but Cerise is limited on time.

Walking across the Lumiose Badlands is a very difficult task. The wind blows hard and makes the lake orange-red dirt whip wildly, which in turn makes it horribly difficult to see. I put Averie in my backpack to offer her at least some protection from the elements.

The five of us are making slow progress across the desert-like landscape until someone screams.

"Who was that," Russet yells above the howling wind, followed by the sound of him spitting out what is most likely dirt and clay.

"ME," Cerise's voice screams. She doesn't seemed at all bothered by the excess dirt in the air. "Something just scratched me!" I turn to the sound of her voice. I can make out two figures, her and what looks like a small Pokémon.