12.3

We made it to the Pokémon League by nightfall. I was exhausted and I'm sure Sage was too. Russet and Cerise wanted to stay at the campsite for a while to take care of our and our Pokémon's injuries, but we both declined, instead choosing to perform some quick first aid ourselves.

Once we got to the actual league, we headed straight to the Pokémon Center. We didn't tell the nurse exactly what happened, but she took us in nonetheless.

I woke up this morning sore and a little disoriented. I was alone, so I figured Sage had already woken up. I went to go check on Averie, which is where I am now.

She's still sleeping. The bruise on her face is even more prominent, almost black in color, her fur doing little to hide it. That's mainly my fault; if we hasn't had that battle, it wouldn't look so bad. Her right leg is wrapped in a layer of gauze. Nurse Joy said she needed stitches, which only adds to my guilt. Across her body are an array of more minor cuts and scratches and bruises. I shouldn't have called that battle. I had a plan, a good one too, but I was caught in the heat of the moment. Averie, Weavile, and Sage had to pay the price.

"Hey," I hear someone say. I turn and see Sage. He looks like he just woke up, which he probably has. He has a bandage on on his cheek and a wrap on his upper arm. It looked like he was limping but it was very slight, almost as if he were trying to hide it.

"Good morning, Sage," I respond. "You look tired. Maybe you should go back to sleep."

Instead of giving a response, he changed the subject completely. "I don't trust you, keep that in mind. Maybe I just understand you better."

"You don't trust me," I repeat. "Why?"

"You haven't given me a reason." He frowns and goes to sit next to his Weavile. It looks like she's half conscious. Sage continues talking. "I mean, yeah, you showed me you're a pretty good strategist, but..." He trails off.

"I kinda killed our parents?" He looks at me strangely, almost in disbelief. Why? I'm sure that's the reason.

"Yeah, kinda." He looks away and pets Weavile. "What's the real reason Wulfric let you leave? Tell the truth; why and how are you here?"

"Like I said Sage, I snuck away because I wanted to finish the journey. But also because I wanted to spend time with my younger brother."

He doesn't look too convinced, but nonetheless mutters 'alright'. "I'm gonna go eat," he announces. "See you later I guess." He gives Weavile one last rub before leaving the room. That's strange. I would've guessed he'd already eaten before he came here. Oh well.

Averie shifts a little and lets out a whimper. Dammit, I feel guilty. I wish I hadn't had that battle. Not much came out of it. Well, Sage did say he understood me so that's a start. Not much of one, but a start.

- - - - -

Right now I'm walking around the league with Russet and Cerise. I don't really know why; I guess I just got bored sitting around the Pokémon Center.

"Well, well, well! If it isn't Cerise!" The three of us turn to the voice and see four familiar faces, one of which I'm not happy to see.

There's Canna, who's smiling confidently with a with an Ampharous at her side. Across from her is...Adam? No, Adon. In front of him is a Altaria . Standing off to the side are a little blonde girl, I believe her name is Lisian, and the one I'm not to happy to see, Vera. She's staring back at me, which is only serving to make me more uncomfortable.

"Hey guys," Cerise responds she doesn't sound too entirely happy. Maybe she just doesn't want to see Canna. "Are you guys just getting here?"

Both Canna and Alex, no Adon, frown.