1.2

The boy's face lights up. "Really! That's awesome."

I put my hands behind my back. "Would you like me to escort you?"

"That'd be cool too, but give me a sec." He takes out some kind of device. I think it's called a Holo Caster. He presses a few buttons and sets it on the ground. The device lights up blue.

"Hey guys," he says to no one, "I told you I'd find someone to give directions first. Anyway, Cerise remember that tree saw on the beach? Meet us there. See ya soon." He picks up the Holo Caster and presses another button. Then puts it in his backpack.

I turn around and see the tree he's talking about. The berries on it are curved. Most of the berry is pale pink but the end is a yellow color.

"It's a Mago berry in case you were wondering," the boy says. "By the way, my name's Russet. "

I tilt my head. "Russet?"

"I know," he says, "It should've been Russell. You can call me Russ. Well, what's your name?"

"My name is Sienna. It's nice to meet you."

I look away from him. He's kinda cute. Not my type. I don't have a type.

When I look away, I see a group of people. I get tense but slightly relax upon closer inspection. They don't look like they could cause much trouble.

A girl, the only one, is leading. She has platinum blonde hair with light pink highlights. She is wearing what looks like a white, collared tank top with a high waisted blue skirt.

She talks to me first. "Oh hello there. I was wondering who he'd found." She holds out her hand. "I'm Cerise." She points to the group of boys behind her.

The first is a ruddy faced boy with light brown hair and pale green eyes named Malachi. Then she goes to his younger brother Peridot who has the same skin and eyes but feathery blonde hair. Finally, it's a somewhat short little boy: Russet's younger half brother, Jasper.  He has Russet's smoky, dark eyes but has choppy black hair. I introduce myself once she's finished.

"So," Cerise says, "Which way to town?" I motion for them to follow me.

"Hey Sienna," Russet says, "Do you live around here?"

Do I answer truthfully?  Why shouldn't I? They might ask me to take them there. That's why. They could compromise my plans...

"No, in fact, I'm on a journey." Yeah. That should do it.

"Really," the dark haired boy says, "What kind of Pokemon do you have?"

Dammit! Didn't think of that. What do I say?

"Oh, I just started so I haven't caught one yet. I don't know how I will."

Russet screwed up his face. "Do you want me to catch one for you?"

"You would do that? Thanks?" I've always wanted a Pokemon but everyone says I'm 'not fit to take care of one.'

"That's not fair," Jasper says, "You'll catch one for some girl you just met a Pokemon but you want even get one for your own brother!"

"Hey, at least she's old enough to own a Pokemon," is his reply. Jasper looks angrier.

"What does that even mean?! I see preschoolers with Pokemon! I'm eight years old; I should be able to have one."

Russet ignores him. "Anyway, Sienna, how old are you?"

I don't really keep track of my age. My last birthday party was when I was eight. I still lived with them until I was nine. That's when I stopped keeping track. And that was a few years ago.

"I'm thirteen," I guess. I try to make it more of a statement.

"I'm twelve," he answers. "Only a year younger." I find out both Cerise and Malachi are fourteen. Jasper and Peridot are both eight.

"There's Cyllage City," I say pointing ahead. The sun has set but the sky is still a dark pretty blue. Cyllage City is a beautiful place. I never went out much, too many threatening people , but I knew that this place was beautiful.

I lead them to the Pokemon center.

"Oh are you staying here for the night too" Russet asks me. I nod.

Cerise smiles. "Cool! Can we share a room?"

I don't trust them. She's like the others, but then she's not. She is friendly, and her appearance is unlike them... Still, appearances can be deceiving.

But what if they question me about my answer? What will they think? They could get upset and then... I have to agree. Her look is too expecting, as if my answer will ruin her life.

"Sure," I say. My face is smiling and bright but my voice is bland and boring. Just as always. Fake looks take you far in life.

Later that night, I wait for her to fall asleep. I have no extra clothes or even shoes to wear. I sneak to that woman's house through the window to my old room. I pack a bag and grab side shoes to where.

I'm about to leave but I feel strange, as if I shouldn't go yet. I walk silently to that woman's room. She is fast asleep, wrapped tightly in her brown comforter. I stand there and look at the woman. I want to leave but I can't shake this feeling. It's like I need to do something. Like I have to do something.

Wait, I got it! This isn't my normal plan of action, but it's the only guarantee of my safety. I chuckle. Wow, how did I not figure this out sooner...