12.4

Cerise's P.O.V.

For some reason, I don't wanna do this. I dunno why, but I don't.

No, I know why. I know Canna and Adon are better trainers than me. I know at least half the trainers in the region are better than me. Nobody's won the league yet this summer. I don't stand a chance.

I couldn't even sleep last night. Was I excited? Scared? I don't know, but what I do know is that I was up till 2 AM.

I'm getting ready right now. Rules state that trainers have to dress up when they challenge the league. For some reason, I don't wanna.

I'm worried about my team: Delphox, Talonflame, Azumarill, Sylveon, Gabite, and Liepard. It's a pretty solid team. Balanced and from what I've hear Sylveon, Azumarill and Talonflame are some of the best battling Pokémon. What I'm concerned about is their movesets. Russ and I couldn't figure out which moves would work. Sure, some of them are cool but I don't think they're practical.

"Hey Cerise," I hear Canna say from behind me. She's challenging again today. This is her last shot before school starts and my only chance. Well she's from Unova, though. School might start later there.

"You ready?" Well obviously I'm not. I'm still in the dressing room. At least she's gonna wait on me. She might be my 'rival' and a little, erm, crazy, but Canna can still be nice when she wants to.

"Not really."

"You'll do just fine. We've all failed before."

"Yeah but, I shouldn't be here. I didn't win all my badges because I can battle well."

"Neither did about a third of the people here." I look at her. Technically, she just agreed that is shouldn't be here.

"You know what I mean!" I guess she realized what she said. Canna walks towards me and starts playing with my hair.

"At last you're trying," she says. "Lots of people left when they heard that no one has won. Yet you stayed. You're trying anyway!"

"But I'm gonna lose! What's the point of trying?"

"Do it for your Pokémon. You've been training with them for almost three months. It's the least you could do." I sigh. That doesn't make sense. If we're gonna lose anyway, what would I challenge it for anyway. It'd just be disappointing for them.

Canna frowns. "...Then do it for Malicai."

...I...w-wait...huh?

...

"What," I finally say after a long silence.

"You heard me." She puts her hands on my shoulders. "Do it for Malachi." She looks really upset. I'm not gonna focus on what she's saying. My mind focuses on everything else. Her eyes, they're a lighter brown than mine. Her clothes, a light purple dress with a red ribbon. Her hair, the red's fading and giving way to an almost black color. It looks like it's like that on purpose. It's curly. I've only ever seen it straight. It looks like it's naturally curly.

I'm ignoring her. She knows I am.

"Cerise, listen to me! If you don't challenge the league— hold up. No. I'm gonna force ya to challenge the league, whether you want to or not. If you you don't go and give it your all, what was the point of him going on the journey?" She looks so angry or is she just sad. I know she knew Malachibefore I did. I wonder if she's more affected by his...passing than I am.

Malachi would be alive if he hadn't gone on this journey. ...But I can't do it. "Don't try to guilt trip me." I'm not angry with her. She seems to realize this.