chapter twenty-four

as i walked in, sonny immediately approached me

"we gotta go."

"what's going on?"

"mr. briggs died of another heart attack last night. sarge wants us to talk to the m.e.."

"jeez." i quickly think for a moment to strategize before continuing to talk. "okay, get in the car, let me just put my bag in my locker and get my on-duty weapon."

"copy that."

sonny raced past me as i rushed to do what i had to before joining him and racing to manhattan morgue.

once we got there, the medical examiner told us his findings.

"his arteries were clogged, his heart enlarged." he explained, putting the cover over the man's head before asking. "since when does svu investigate death by heart attack?"

"well, his wife took him on a road trip after he had a smaller attack yesterday. we just wanna know if it contributed." sonny told him.

"well, it certainly didn't help." the examiner replied. "the gentlemen was in no condition to go sightseeing."

"so, you would draw a connection between that and his death." i interrupt, just wanting to get the facts.

"i mean, doc, she took him out of the hospital against medical advice with an iv hanging from his arm."

"well then, ipso facto." the examiner replied to sonny. "there was also something else she pulled out of him too."

"what?" i ask.

"there's semen in his urethra."

sonny and i exchanged glances as we kept asking questions and the doctor answering them to the best of his knowledge.

once we were done there and reported our finding to liv, she told us to go to the district attorney's office to show my husband the file and explain what the doctor had said to us.

~

"i'm sorry, what did you just say?" my father asked, as i sat in his house later that evening.

"it looks like the widow killed him."

"by using rectal probe electroejaculation?"

"it's a technique,"

"you explained it once, i don't need it again."