chapter two

i walked into the squad room the next morning, liv looked up from her desk as i sat at mine

"hey, feeling better today? nick said you went home early yesterday."

"yeah, i'm all good, thank you."

"why didn't you tell us?" elliot then asks, basically storming into the squad room.

"and good morning to you," i sarcastically reply. "and what didn't i tell you?"

"about your husband being our ada." elliot then clarifies.

"i didn't know he was gonna be our assistant district attorney." i reply.

"do you two not tell each other these things?" liv then asks.

"may i have a word with you two?" i say as i walk towards one of the interrogation rooms as liv and elliot follow.

"so i'm guessing something happened between you and barba?" elliot asks as i shut the door.

"we've been separated for four months now. i'm surprised danny hasn't said anything, to you especially el."

"no, he didn't say anything to me at all, that's why i'm so surprised." he says.

i sigh.

"after a year or so after we got married, we decided to start trying for a baby. for months, we tried and tried and each time we had a hope of being pregnant, it was false. one night, we were both stressed, both exhausted, and we just snapped at each other. i left and i haven't seen or spoken to him in four months. i've been staying at jamie's, while rafa stays at our place."

"i'm so sorry. i thought you just stopped wearing your rings for work purposes." liv says as i shook my head.

"are you okay?" elliot then asks.

"i'm not, i miss him and i want to go back home, but i just need space right now." i sigh. "we should get back to work."

with that, i opened the door, leaving the room.

the reason elliot and olivia knew who rafael was and that we were married is because they were at my wedding, along with fin and our captain, don cragen.

"reagan, my office." the interim captain calls for me before i could even reach my desk.

i retreated into his office, shutting the door, at his request.