71. Monday Morning Mayhem

This is a really long chapter, it has like 16,00o words so go grab a snack or something. Enjoy!

Chapter 71 - Monday Morning Mayhem

It burnt. Everything within me was being eaten away by fire and acid. I could only assume it was acid, though if fire could become a liquid I could have sworn that it was coursing through my veins. It had started sliding down my esophagus, a clear trail considering my mouth felt charred and bloody - but now the acid had forged its way into my stomach.

From there it spread.

It spread like a web, moving underneath my skin like currents move under the water's surface. I couldn't have screamed if I'd wanted to - I couldn't have breathed in more fire than I already had. The soot, the excess venom would kill me if the fire didn't finish the job. I could feel the heat, the burning ravaging its course through my body; buckling my knees and bringing me down to the ground. And then, all of a sudden the fire caught on my lungs. I struggled hard, pulling in ragged breaths past the licking of the acid...

And then I couldn't breathe at all. My ears could hear the muffled sounds around me until then - I couldn't hear anything else than my heartbeat pounding in my defiance and my diaphragm trying to damn the acid that had been washed down my throat.

It was more than painful - yes, this was more than pain. This was death. It had to be death because I had never lived through this kind of pain and survived. I had never felt this kind of fear and helplessness. I could feel that the lack of air was somehow making the heat more intense, even though I knew that should smother it and make it stop - but it only raged on. I didn't remember lying down, but I knew now that my body was strewn against something cold because I was coveting the last feeling of comfort I knew I would ever feel.

I had never really believed in a hell that involved fire and brimstone - but clearly I had been damned for ignoring it...or maybe I had been damned for the other many things I had done wrong in my life. I couldn't seem to think of what all those things were because of the pain - but I found a stubborn pleasure in knowing the demons screwed up on some part of this torture.

But I couldn't be dead yet, even though I'd always figured death would be fast. A killing spell, a tumble off one of the high towers, another slicing of my throat...I never thought it would be so drawn out or so anticlimactic. Or maybe I wasn't dead at all - maybe I was still dying and that was why it was still so anticlimactic. Maybe that's why the fire was still licking at every pore and every seam of me.

I felt something invade my throat which made it even harder to breathe than before. Of course, I had not been breathing in the first place so I hadn't have known it could get worse - but I was wrong. Now instead of the acid eating at my lungs, there was something lodged in my throat. Something solid and impossible to breathe around, a giant lump that took over everything as it slid its way down my throat like a slug.

And yet, as disgusting as it felt, it was the most beautiful sensation I had ever welcomed. With its slime, it seemed to douse the burn from the acid as it had followed the same path and as soon as it hit my stomach, it felt like a chill spread over my body - like I was dunked in water. Almost like a vision but somehow so much better. And I had never loved the sensations involved with water so much. Water was terrifying, but dying...dying was painful.

Or maybe this was death. Maybe being dunked into water was my torturous afterlife. Still...anything was better than the fire. Anything was better than the-

Voices. There were voices around me, I could hear them. They weren't making any sense - they couldn't have been speaking in English nevertheless a language I could recognize. Their words were like gibberish which had been muted by the water I was slowly drowning in. But I wasn't alone. Hell wouldn't give me others to play with - Hell would leave me to myself. Forever. And I was not alone...particularly not when I could hear the familiar rough R's and slow skip of my brother's voice.