37. Just Like James

Chapter 37 - Just Like James

When all was said and done, I did not feel an ounce of regret while I watched Daphne walk the girls to the hospital wing - well, I guess technically Alya had to be levitated - but I could still not make myself feel any form of remorse. Apparently whoever feared rats most had been imaginative enough to fear that they would also have very sharp teeth and would therefore be able to bite more easily through flesh than real rats were able, so it had left need for Madame Pomfrey's care.

"You know I never condone you using that mind of yours to hurt people," Theodore began in his usual berating tone as he walked me down to dinner. "But good on you."

"Er - what?" I repeated with raised eyebrows.

"I don't condone what you did," he said seriously, just to make the point perfectly clear. "I think that it was over the top and bordering psychological torture, but I do think it's good you fought back after what Alya did to you. It wasn't right, even if the two of you weren't as close as say you and Lillian or you and Tracey."

"Thank you, Theodore," I let out a surprised and breathy smile. It was nice to have him on my side, even if he didn't really approve of my dramatic methods. "This has been a good day, hasn't it? You became Slytherin Keeper, I got revenge, and we even got to see the little gits squirm."

"Never tell anyone in our house that I initiated this," Theodore began with a sigh. "But I really think that you should go talk to some of the Gryffindors about today."

"Wait, what?" I scoffed loudly. "What's wrong with you today? Are you just throwing all of your ethics aside for my benefit? I mean, first of all, I don't really understand why anyone other than Fred and George would like to know about it. Second, why should either of us ever care what the rest of the house thinks? I'm already kin to a leper in their eyes."

"I may or may not have been referring to Malfoy, when I said that, Audrey."

"Alright, fine, then more importantly why the hell do we care what Malfoy thinks?" I corrected with a frown, watching him carefully after my pointed eye roll. "I know you and he are all Purebred-buddies, but I do not understand how you don't find him repulsive for the way he treats me."

"He's been treating you wonderfully this year, Audrey," he reminded. I let out a guffaw that he rolled his eyes on. Apparently he thought I was about to be dramatic - quite the opposite. I was under-dramatizing how much of an arse the boy was!

"Sure, if you include protecting me from Alya and others like her, but he's still been a git. I don't see why we should consider him when we make decisions like whether or not I should go speak to my own twin brother." I narrowed my eyes, watching Theodore heave a sigh and rub his hands on his trousers - his universally-recognized sign that he was anxious.

"He's been really on guard since those newspaper articles, Audrey," he reminded. "Cut him some slack, will you? He's trying to make this as painful as possible with the Prophet always snooping around and your...well..."

I stopped walking, we were near the Great Hall but I did not want whatever he was about to say to be heard by the masses. Something told me I would not enjoy what he was about to tell me. "My what?"

"Well, er - I mean, it's pretty much common knowledge that you aren't...quite yourself after what happened last June. It's not a bad thing," he added nervously, he must have seen the way I looked like I had been punched in the gut - or possibly he noticed that my fists were clenching angrily. One or the other, I'm sure. "It's just...we all want to make sure that you're comfortable and that - er - that you don't get hurt anymore. Malfoy's been doing a load to keep outsiders off your back, but as for the people in the castle...well, Alya's a good example, isn't she?"