104. The Safest Place

Bye this chapter has over 21,000 words. So grab a snack. I hope you enjoy this extra-long chapter!

Chapter 104 – The Safest Place

The precise moment that Harry, Ron, Hermione and I landed in the small town of Hogsmeade, the Caterwauling charm announced our arrival. The shrill shrieking of angry cats was a familiar sound that I had gotten used to during my many days of scouting here, but the sharpness still startled me enough that I swore aloud.

My reflexes were not as good as my brother's were, and I was happy when he forced the group of us over behind the door to a shop. It was so dark that I couldn't really tell where we had landed but being shrouded by the long shadows of the building would help hide our ankles. With how large a lump we were while we hid beneath the invisibility cloak, it was clear that not only our ankles but even our calves would be visible if we tried to make a run for it. At least put against brick they wouldn't be as noticeable. I was banking on the fact that the Death Eaters would be rushing out, disoriented by the late hour, the dimly lit street, and the likelihood that anyone coming out of the only open bar wouldn't exactly be sober.

A dozen Death Eaters burst through the door of the Three Broomsticks which was one hundred meters up the main road. The group was cloaked and in full Death Eater garb and had their wands drawn. Harry had been right, they were expecting us. My brother raised his wand and pushed Ron's wand up as well, but I waved my hand in front of their faces to grab their attention. Sure, we would have the advantage of being harder to detect, but we were still visible thanks to how many of us were clumped under the cloak, we did not have the element of surprise, and we were mercilessly outnumbered.

That formula didn't add up to an attack, in my mind.

"Accio Cloak!" A Death Eater roared as they began to spread out upon the road. I tried not to make my gasp audible as each of us instinctively gripped at the fabric we were holding above ourselves...but the invisibility cloak made no move to go to the Summoner.

Apparently, Summoning Charms didn't work on this cloak.

"Not under your wrapper then, Potter?" The Death Eater who had tried the summoning charm yelled out to us. I wanted to roll my eyes. I never understood why bad guys took the time to do that, to try to taunt us into giving away our position. Did they truly expect us to answer them, or for us to be scared? Either way, it didn't work. "Spread now. He's here."

We're here, but that's fine.

Half of the dozen Death Eaters that had been huddled in the pub down the road ran towards us as confidently as if they could see us. Again, Harry's quick Quidditch reflexes kicked into action and he quickly jostled us to the side, slinking along the wall of the brick building and down the alleyway to the side. The Death Eaters nearly skimmed us with how quickly they had advanced. We pushed ourselves over to the far side of the building, allowing us – and most importantly our very noticeable shins – to be concealed by the darkness.

The group of idiots were running around wildly, beams of light flying across the street we had escaped from and every now and then lighting the street we found ourselves falling into.

Salazar's spit, since when had the Death Eaters ever been prepared for us? I couldn't help but miss the days they were lazy and disorganized. Then again, they'd probably only learned because I had taken advantage of that fault time and time again.

"Let's just leave," Hermione whispered with a waver to her voice. "Disapparate now!"

"Great idea," Ron breathed. Before either my twin or I could reply with what I knew would be a refusal, a Death Eater's voice overcame our own.