25. End of an Era

Chapter 25: End of an Era

If Snape ever wondered whether or not I had been in the room when Crouch was kissed by the Dementor, he never asked me. No one ever asked where I had stormed to that night. Harry never questioned why I had the invisibility cloak that had been in his position before that night. Really, no one seemed to want to confront me about anything; it was a wise choice. It was like they were willing to let me get away with...well, whatever it was I'd gotten away with.

Nott and Greengrass had come round to speak to me a few times, but they would always get tongue tied thanks to the cold shoulder I'd offer them and give up. It was for the better: anyone who was trying to be close to me right now was going to inevitably get burned. It did not take a Seer to know that after everything that had happened, I was not in a good place.

Snape had come up to me once or twice during the 'bad week' as well, thanks to the information he was fed from other professors. The week after the final task had been dubbed 'the bad week' from my fellow classmates. It had been full of reviews in class and certain students - particularly me - skirting around trying to avoid it. But for once the professors seemed to be glad I was bunking. I had become a new form of danger like Longbottom's lack of aim or Finnegan's ability to blow things up with a flick of his wand or a wrong ingredient. Simple spells were no longer just an issue for me, but like the other dunces in class, they were a danger for everyone else. When I would get frustrated, sometimes I'd accidentally use Magnuse that left me falling asleep in my chair...while my textbook was on fire.

Yes, Snape had a lot to say to me about that.

Dumbledore had spoken to the school the day after the tournament, telling everyone to leave the Triwizard champions - particularly Harry and I - alone. I couldn't tell if him doing that made things better or worse...for Harry, people seemed to be respecting his wishes and giving him his space, which he appreciated, so he told me later. As for me, everyone moved away when they saw me in the halls. Everyone except for the Ravenclaws. Usually led by a vicious looking Hoe Chang or Marietta Edgecombe, the Ravenclaws had nothing but rude sneers and dirty glares for me. Apparently Chang was still upset I'd stolen her boyfriend from her.

Well, neither of us won that argument, now did we?

Harry had come up to speak to me two days after 'the incident' as well, though it hadn't really turned into anything of value. It wasn't until the final day of term that he had caught me on my way to the end of term feast - which he seemed to be dreading as much as I - before we actually had a conversation with any meaning. The conversation started by basing itself around the idea that neither of us wanted to celebrate the end of the year. We agreed it was stupid to celebrate the end when it was also the beginning of a massacre...though we never said it in so many words.

"Hagrid and Madam Maxime are going to do something for Dumbledore this summer," Harry explained to me quietly. "Something to do with Voldemort."

"Something tells me a lot of people will be commissioned by Dumbledore for things like that," I noted vacantly. I was still upset after what Harry had said about Snape - that he may or may not be going to work as a spy for Dumbledore again. Snape would be behind enemy lines, with the Darkest wizard of all time, just so that Dumbledore could get information. It hardly seemed fair and I was ruthlessly worried. Not that I would ever get to converse with him about it, you know, as he was a spy.

Harry and I slowed our pace a bit, hoping that we would be able to sneak in while everyone had already served themselves. Before we entered the Great Hall, he took my hand and twirled me around so that we could talk some more. I have no idea what he thought I'd want to talk to him about, but he seemed pretty adamant on doing it.