98. Friend or Foe

This one has some pretty important stuff in it, so read carefully.

Enjoy!

Chapter 98 - Friend or Foe

"I know you're mad at me," Harry spoke very slowly, his voice was thick but his eyes were wide and sincere. "But I am so glad you're finally here."

"Drop it," I informed him. I couldn't care less how sincere he looked right now, he was still in the wrong. He was vulnerable and surprised, which was why he felt so ready to tell me he missed me and it would take a lot more than a pathetic look from him and another attack on his life for me to forget what he'd done; particularly since he always seemed to get himself into these life-or-death situations. "No amount of sentiment will make me forget how mad I am with you."

"I know and you have every right to be," he was still taking deep breaths as he shivered in the snow. He was drenched head to toe, but it seemed he refused to let his shivering stop him from showing his misplaced gratitude. "But Merlin, we've missed you."

"I'm sure you have," I mumbled lowly. I made sure to look away in case he caught the hint of satisfaction I felt from hearing it. It's not like I would admit to missing him, but it was good to know that the guilt they had felt had been festering alongside my bitterness. "Now, let's see this thing you nearly died for."

"Why wouldn't you take the locket off before you dived?" I was glad that Ron had broken the moment between us. It looked like Harry was entering some form of shock from the cold - or maybe by the fact that both Ron and I were here. Or maybe because we were together. Or maybe because we were ganging up on him for once. Whatever the real reason was, Harry was not able to comprehend what it was.

"It was y-you?" Harry asked in a daze.

I rolled my eyes, going toward him and grabbing his wrists. "Come here."

I focused on the skin beneath my fingers, feeling how cold and clammy it was. He was certainly going into shock considering the cold and the surprise he'd just had. I focused on the heat that was building up in my palms from all of the excitement of the night to drive my magic forward to warm his skin. Between my brother nearly dying and me being unable to bring myself to save him, I knew guilt was driving me to do this too. What if Ron hadn't have been there to jump in?

Honestly, it didn't feel like I would have been able to.

Godric, damn it all...now I was going to be guilted into forgiving him before I was ready to, wasn't I? No. I'd hold firm on this. He didn't deserve forgiveness for leaving me in the midst of a Death Eater battle with almost all of my supplies. That was not forgivable.

"There's nothing I can do about your clothes," I told him. I wasn't going to risk burning holes in his limited wardrobe options. "We'll just have to go to your campground."

"It was y-you?" This time he looked to me, his brows knitted. Colour was coming back to his cheeks now, so it seemed like he was starting to get his wits about him again. "You cast the doe? You learned how to do a Patronus?"

"No," I said slowly, realizing what that meant. Good on him for remembering because in all the commotion I had already forgotten just what that Doe meant - there was someone else here. There was someone around while we were all in a vulnerable state. My Magnuse immediately reacted to the anxiety that built up in me and I watched Harry flinch away from me when I lost control on how hot my palms grew against his skin. I didn't apologize, instead, I moved my eyes around the treeline around us. Every sense within me was waiting with baited breath, preparing for some kind of attack.