31. Hearings and Meetings

Chapter 31 - Hearings and Meetings

The next morning was filled with Doxy cleaning, which was actually one of my favourite things to do. This is of course with the consideration that I was still horrifically, obtrusively, and extensively injured - though it honestly wasn't all that bad - but I didn't actually have to do any cleaning. Thanks to my lapse of judgement that cut my fingers open, Mrs Weasley worried that my reflexes would be too slow spraying the creatures with Doxycide, so instead I got to apply the anti-venom if anyone got bit - which wasn't that often - so really I just got to sit around.

Realistically, I could have just told them the proper way to lure out Doxy's - instead of infuriating them, they really had a penchant for blue cheese - but this way seemed much more entertaining and the ridiculousness of it made the gloomy house seem less depressing. Besides, it was nice to sit around and help Fred and George stuff immobilized doxy's into their pocket for later Weasleys Wizard Wheezes experiments.

At one point, Harry left for time with Sirius. I couldn't be sure but it seemed like they were consoling each other - I felt a slight flare in my stomach. It was annoying that I never got time with my godfather, but he always seemed to make time for Harry. Maybe it was because they got along better, being Gryffindors and having their stricter 'moral code' and all that rubbish; or perhaps it was even a bit of what Mrs Weasley had accused last night, that Sirius was confusing having James back - I didn't really know.

To be frank, I thought I had more in common with my godfather than Harry did. Sure, Harry got in trouble more often, but that's because trouble found Harry. Harry didn't always cause trouble like I did, like Sirius had; Harry didn't have a penchant for making peoples lives more miserable like I did; like Sirius does. And by miserable, I of course mean more interesting. Besides, Sirius was bitter and damaged and had lived life in a way that Harry would never be able to understand - could barely understand - but at least I understood that I wouldn't and never would...Harry just pretended that he did anyway. It was insulting to what Sirius had lived through. Sirius was like me: he was misunderstood and he was alone.

By the time lunch came, Harry and Sirius reappeared. Harry tried to sit beside me, but I was sure to wedge myself between Fred and George as they talked on and on about their new project: Skiving Snackboxes.

Life went on with monotonous cleaning and sly stealing for three excruciating days. Since we weren't really going out of Grimmauld place, I refused to let anyone buy me ingredients for the potions I could make to heal my hand. It was a stubborn move that kept me sore, but also kept me from doing work and owing anyone any favours. I helped Fred and George with their products, on our few hours off. Since they were working out a mail-order business, I helped organize all their orders and also attempted to help them test some of their products...they wouldn't let me test the more unstable ones, but it was nice to feel like I was part of something anyway.

Ron and Hermione had taken to comforting Harry about his upcoming hearing. I had tried a few times, but got frustrated when he would keep complaining that I hadn't been called as well. I tried explaining that they couldn't pick up my Magnuse and the magic I had used would not have been seen by muggles, but he didn't believe me and still thought it was unfair - which admittedly was kind of true. I just couldn't think too much about it since it kept me out of the hot water. I still continued to try and remind him that muggles couldn't see dementors and that his defense was that it was about to kiss both Dudley and I. I also told him to make me look good in the story, to which he rolled his eyes. No one appreciates my humour.

The days came and went, still filled with monotonous cleaning and dodging responsibilities. With each day came a new layer of dust and dread, however, while Harry's hearing drew nearer and nearer until finally, on Wednesday, he was getting ready to go.