39. Shift and Shite

Chapter 39 - Shift and Shite

I was ecstatic now that my final punishable patrol shift was nearly over. Having switched my night shift for the morning shift with the seventh year Gryffindors - as persuaded by Fred and George - I was glad to be on my final hour. These last three weeks had been hell; they were filled with Montague's innuendos, my brother constantly getting in trouble, and a lot of complaining during the rounds that Malfoy had joined me for.

Then again, like most of my ill-fated detentioned patrols, Malfoy had joined me for this last stretch. It was shocking how many of my patrols he had joined me for - considering he'd been there for double, no, more than double of the patrols that he was meant to be part of. What was even more shocking was how civil we had been during those patrols...and though I knew it was simply because we didn't want any more punishments than necessary, a small and terrified inner voice told me that there was something more. Something more from both sides.

Because of this new camaraderie, I found it comforting that Malfoy joined me again this morning - only five minutes before now - while rubbing his eyes and shouting moodily at anyone he saw running.

Most people, like myself, were excited simply because it was the first Hogsmeade weekend of the year. I was excited to get out to the town and spend time with Fred and George, who I have not really been able to spend time with as I'd been working determinedly to get on Umbridge's good side. It was working well - though I had noticed that my credibility with her decreased each time she would see me spending time at the Gryffindor table.

"I don't understand why you're so excited for morning," Malfoy grumbled, I noticed that he was having a lot of trouble keeping his eyes open. "Your excitement is exhausting."

"It's already 9:15, Malfoy," I smiled to myself. Having been patrolling since six, I'd had time to wake up - it also helped that I was excited to get out of this suffocating, giant castle. "I hate mornings as well, but this morning is the morning of freedom!"

"Yes, freedom," Malfoy rolled his eyes. "Does that freedom continue when you have to come back early to serve your detention with McGonagall?"

I frowned, stopping in place to glare at him. "You ruined my good mood."

"Good," he groaned. "It was wrong to be so chipper in the morning."

"I shouldn't be in detention anyway," I ranted, walking forward again and hearing him sigh from behind me as he picked up his pace to keep up. "I did make the kitten invisible!"

"Potter, it was using Magnuse," he argued with a yawn. "It was cheating."

"It was not," I pointed out, pointing at him accusingly. "I did the work all on my own. She told us how to use our wands for the incantations, sure, but she never actually said we couldn't use cantated magic."

"Tell that to McGonagall."

"I did," I frowned, pulling in my pointing hand and crossing my arms over my chest with a huff. "She didn't listen."

"What will you be doing on the part of the day you get in the village, then?"

"I don't know, I just want to get out of here," I admitted with a sigh. "I need to get some more food for Circe and I'm down to specialty quills. I doubt I'll have time for Zonko's or Honeydukes thanks to the crowds and my detention." I couldn't stop the wrinkle of my nose. "Why, what were you planning?"

"Have a few butterbeers at the Three Broomsticks," he thought allowed. "Maybe some firewhiskey."

I quirked an eyebrow. "Are we allowed to order that?"