Chapter 38 : Back Again

(A/n) bit of a warning, I haven't written a chapter in a while so my writing might seem a little different because of my style in my other books. Thank you @loveangel272019 for urging me to carry on with this book. I've just been struggling with commitment lately.

When I finally woke up I felt somewhat well-rested, but I didn't wake myself up it was caused by an upset whine outside and I instantly recognised it as Ginro. I rolled my eyes as I changed into the dress I used to wear, revelling in Senku's absence I got to think to myself. Where did he go now? I approached the group at the other side of the courtyard, Kohaku greeted me with a simple good morning and a sly smile. "Why does no one ever wake me up for the important stuff?"

"You looked comfortable," her smile dropped a slight bit, "I think that's the best I've ever seen you sleep."

"What are they doing?" I pointed to Chrome, Gen, Senku and Kaseki.

"Oh them? They're doing their science-y stuff. They got Ginro to make them both cotton candy by it came out too clumpy. I'm not sure why it's important though," she pondered whilst I shook my head, she could be so smart but so dumb at times. "You'll see soon enough." And with that, I strolled over just in time to hear the last of old man Kaseki's sentence. "And once again, we're doing the 'ol last minute trial-and-error routine are we?"

"Not working these men to death are we?" I ask the four.

"No just Kinro and Ginro," Gen responded.

"Oh, yeah that's fine then," I pursed my lips once I realised how sarcastic that sounded. I noticed I was getting some looks from the boys. "What? Have I got something in my face?" Gen's face erupted into an evil grin and Chrome just chuckled nervously. "No. Nothings on your face. We-we just-" Chrome didn't get to finish his sentence because a hand was slapped around his mouth, a feminine one and was dragged away, Gen following. "What a bunch of weirdos," I shared a look with Senku then Kaseki.

I couldn't help but giggle at the expression on Senku's face, he looked out of it while staring at the floor. "Why is everyone acting strange this morning? You aren't high are you?" My voice snapped Senku out of his daze and he glanced at me for a few seconds while Kaseki walked away to get Kinro and Ginro to do some work. "Me high? No," he said uncharacteristically quick. He almost sounded nervous. I couldn't think of how to respond so I walked a little closer and suddenly all I could think about was the kiss. In one swift movement, I was standing face to face with him, his hand securely sitting on my head and he was leaning down.

"listen up Kai, because I'm only going to say this once. Once," he stopped to swallow with fluster. "I've never done this kind of thing before. With no one ever. And if it had to be anyone I'd pick you to be my girlfriend one billion times over. You have the same passion for science as me and can be even wittier. You're athletic and can use your bow perfectly, you have no idea how much power you hold here. How much power you hold over me-" he was beginning to ramble, he sounded like he was talking to himself so I placed a finger to his lips.

"You're rambling, Senku, take a breather. And yes..." I answer his unasked question, I'd have to stand here an hour for him to spit it out.

"Yes...?" He squinted and straightened slightly.

"I'm assuming you were going to ask me out so, yes, I'll be your girlfriend," I laughed breathily. He blinked in surprise before letting his hand slip out of my hair and onto his hip. "That was easier than I anticipated and I didn't even get to ask," he chuckled, his cheeks tinged pink, his eyes lit up at the realisation. "I knew it was coming and if you started fast-talking again I knew you wouldn't stop for another hour," I chuckled and he reached the back of his neck.

I saw right through him, he was shy, is only saw him like that once and that was when his dad tackled him in a hug in front of me. I sighed. "You know I'm in the same boat as you?"

"What?"

"I've never dated anyone before either. Though, I suppose I'd know more than you do, with Yuzuriha ranting down my ear about Taiju and all," a small smile found it's way to my lips. It was only then that I realised how much I missed the two, I hadn't seen then in such a long time but I'm sure I'll meet with them eventually. "You haven't?" He asked.

"Senku in all of the three years you had known me in high school did I date anyone at all?" I asked.

"Well, you could've dated in middle school, idiot," he shot back.

"Well, I didn't if you must know. And that also means...?" I trailed off as I walked away, he'd catch on soon enough if not in a few seconds. Only once I was ten steps away he whipped around with a smirk on his face, his hands on his hips again. "I was your first kiss?"

"Bingo!" I pumped a fist in the air playfully and glanced back at him as I kept walking. I could hear him jog forward to meet with me and we approached where Kinro and Ginro were making more cotton candy. That discussion felt like it lasted hours but in reality only barely fifteen minutes. I could already spot the incoming stress to I tapped Senku's shoulder. "I'm gonna dodge this because I need to go wash myself off. Good luck," he didn't get to even open his mouth because I was already gone to go grab my towel and bikini.