Chapter 21 : Alluring Danger

I was training my kicking form by myself while Kohaku dealt with helping the two guards with quick attacks.

"So cool," Ginro gawked at the science team that was almost finished with the silver spear.

"They're gonna making make my silver spear with that, huh? Wow! Science is actually super weird, isn't it!" He pulled an almost cat-like expression.

"Heh, that reminds me..." he trailed off, we all slightly lowered our weapons and glanced up to him.

"Kinro, don't you have an awesome golden spear?" Ugh here comes the bragging and teasing.

"Oh, whoops. I remember now. You don't have one! I kinda can't believe we're only gonna have the silver one and not the gold," the science team was now listening to his mocking, I looked to Kohaku and she gave me an urged nod.

I stalked up behind him silently.

"Start using your arms not your jaw," I told him sternly. He turned towards my voice, I pulled back my fist and let it connect to his nose. He grunted and fell face-first onto the floor, bleeding lightly. Needless to say, everyone returned to their own devices.

About half an hour more of training Ginro raised the spear tip to meet his eyes and gaped uncontrollably at it.

"So shiny! So awesome!" He screeched making me cringed slightly, knowing that it probably wasn't going to last long as he hoped.

"Thank you, Senku! I love my silver spear!" He danced childishly.

"Something tells me that isn't going to last long," I put emphasis on 'that'. Senku shook his head confirming my suspicions. I crossed my arms and leant my back on one of the posts that held the shed up. I hummed thoughtfully.

"Feel like giving me a clue as to what we're doing?" I asked. He let a smirk wipe across his features, I knew he wasn't going to, I bit the inside of my cheek and punched him gently on the arm and pouting slightly. He turned to Ginro and chuckled.

"You don't have to flap your gums one millimetre to thank me. The fact is, I didn't make that for you. Come on, we need to get moving," Senku shrugged. So stoic.

"Ginro, your job today is to be the team's bodyguard," are you kidding? He's a perfect example of 'the cowardly lion'. I rolled my eyes and followed Ginro into the woods along with everybody else.

*time skip*

I groaned quietly as Ginro blabbed on about any and every thought going through his head.

"Wait a sec. I come up here all the time to get water from these hot springs," said Kohaku.

"Yeah, what's the deal? I thought this was supposed to be a mega-dangerous mission?" Chrome added. Do they not know anything about Senku, this man does not lie unless necessary.

"It gets dangerous up ahead," Senku slouched tiredly. I was about to offer that he take a break, then I remembered that Senku doesn't stop for any reason other than an injury.

"Ginro, quit messing around and hold your spear steady and pointing forward!" Senku instructed. Ginro was currently spinning the spear at full speed above his head, which was extremely stupid of him.

Senku grabbed the spear's edge and held it down straight in Ginro's hand.

"This silver spear acts as a sensor. That's the whole reason I made it in the first place. Pay close attention to the tip of it. It's very important. You'll need to notice if that silver begins to turn black," suddenly something in my mind clicked.

"Turns black? What do you mean?" Ginro asked slightly concerned. Senku's expression grew dark, only frightening Ginro.

"If that happens, you'll be dead in seconds. I'm not joking. Ginro gasped as my mind reels, I think I know what our mission is for certain now.

"That turns black, you need to get away in .1 seconds. That's the signal for all of us to start running. The enemy you're guarding us from will kill us if we make just one mistake,"everyone except for me had started to sweat profusely. I calmly listened taking in word after word.

"It's the greatest hurdle in making sulfa drugs. We could die very easily." Well isn't that fantastic?

We kept walking for a while, Ginro still freaking about what Senku had told him. The way he cautiously tip toed across the rock was quite amusing.

"Still okay. Still okay. Looking good," I grabbed Senku's shoulder and rotated him to face were Ginro was padding along, I pursed my lips, cursing at myself mentally for wanting to laugh.

"Heh! What the hell, man? You're holding the sensor so need to be in front of us!" Senku bellowed marching towards the on-edge boy.

"Well you told me I was gonna die, so I'm terrified!" He sputtered defensively.

"You wimp. Then switch placed with me and hand over the silver spear!" Kohaku mocked him relentlessly.

"Not a chance! I'll do it! I can be brave, too!" He retorted hugging the spear tightly to his chest. He started lurking forward, earning a sigh from Kohaku and I.

*A few hours later*

"Uh! You guys, you might wanna check this out," Ginro informed us in an uneasy, squeaky voice. I took a step forward and my eyes immediately snapped to a dip in the ground containing a crystalline liquid that shone a shimmering aquamarine blue.

"Well, looks like we're here," I looked back to Chrome, Kohaku and Senku.

"What did I tell ya? We've finally arrived at the source of our most killer component for the drug," Senku chuckled.

"I don't really understand what it is we're supposed to be gathering here. But it does look like a place where you'd find something important," Kohaku lifted a brow.

"It's absolutely beautiful. Divine. An entire spring of emerald green," she continued. I looked back at Kohaku, but Senku caught my eye. He was staring at me intensely, he met my eye and then glanced to the floor for a few seconds.

"Have you figured it out yet?" He tilted his head.

"Hydrogen sulfide?" I asked he flashed a lopsided grin that made my heart to squeeze in my chest.

"Bingo." My face reddened slightly and you knew for a fact that he had spotted it. I looked away to stop Ginro daydreaming, making his way down the rocks, closer to the dangerous parts. My eyes widened as I sprinted down, I could make out the almost blackened spear.

"Get away, Ginro!" Senku hollered.

I snagged harshly at his collar, dragging him away from where he was standing. I suddenly felt my lungs begin to burn, I held in a cough but it just worsened. I eventually let out a gasp of air and fell into a coughing fit.