20. Tears and little space

"June, you don't have to do this you know that right? If you want something from there, I can go and get it for you, sweetie..." Ash says as I put my shoes on with shaky hands.

I had to do this. I wouldn't like myself if I didn't face mum and Ron. I was a strong girl now and I didn't need them anymore. I could face them.

"I want to. I want to show them that I don't need them anymore and I want them to know that they were the worst people ever. I just want you to come with me c-c-cuz I'm a little bit scared..." I say as I look down. Maybe I'm not ready to go yet.

"Baby, you don't have to be scared. You're so strong and independent. I will definitely come with you but I know you would be able to do this by yourself as well. And I'm sure what you want must be very important to you so I'll be there with you okay?" He said while giving me a kiss on my forehead. Okay. I can do this.

"Thanks for that, Ash," I hug him and swing my bag over my shoulder. "Let's go."

He walked in front of me swinging his car keys on his finger and guided me towards his car. I quickly open the passenger seat door and sit in the car with my bag in my lap.

Ash walks to the driver seat and sits in, adjusting the rear view mirror and putting his seat belt on.

I realise I didn't put my seatbelt on and do so quickly. It was gonna be a long drive cuz they lived a few towns away. "You sure you don't want Mr Snow with you, baby?" Ash asks pointing at Mr snow who was sitting in the back seat. I shake my head no.

"Nope. I don't wanna get into littlespace before I go in there." I say and he nods, understanding.

The rest of the car ride goes silently with me fiddling my thumbs and listening to the music Ash was playing. We finally reach in the area where I used to live and the familiar houses and trees start to appear.

I start to bounce my foot up and down, as I start to get anxious. I bite my lip and clutch the hem of my skirt.

A warm hand makes it's way to my hand and Ash rubs his thumb on my palms making me calm down.

"June, deep breaths. You are so strong, baby. You can do it." He says while rubbing his hand on mine slowly in circles. I nod my head and take a deep breath, holding it in for a second before releasing it.

We're on my street and I notice the wonky two storied house with an unkept yard and a broken gate. He parks the car opposite the house and looks at me with worry in his eyes.

"A-ash, n-nothing bad will happen, right?" I stutter.

"I'm not gonna let anything happen to you. Just calm down, bub. And if at any point, it's too much and you want to leave immediately, let me know." He says and I nod. I try to get all bad things out of my head. I open the car door and step out. I wait for Ash to come. We cross the street and stand in front of the house.

Ash's hand clutches mine and take a deep breath, toughening myself up before walking to the porch and ringing the doorbell.

I can do it.

Ash stands behind me and I wait for someone to come open the door for me. The door knob jiggles and Ron comes out with an unknowing look on his face.

His face completely contorts when he sees me and he has a pissed off look on his face. "What the fuck are you doing here? And who's that?" He asks looking at Ash.

Anger builds up inside me but I control myself. "That's nothing you need to worry about. I'm just here to take a few of my things that I left." I say, not letting him get to me.

"Honey who is it?" I hear mum shout from inside the house. She comes up behind Ron and her face drops. "What is she doing here?" She asks and a flash of hurt crosses my face.

"I'm just here to take a few things I left behind." She scowls and rolls her eyes.

"Whatever you left, is probably gone. We threw all your shit in the trash." She says with hatred.

I always kept this thing in the safest place where mum or Ron would never find it so I'm pretty sure it's still there. "I know it's still there. It'll only take me a minute to get it. After this, I will never ever come back." I say hoping she'd let me in.

"You can go in but this...boy..isn't coming into my house." Ron says and j look at Ash who just gives him a death glare.

My anxiety starts picking up but I try my best to control it. "It's fine Ash, I'll be back in 2 seconds. Just wait for me." I say and I rush in and go up the stairs as quickly as I can.

Once I'm up, I'm so close to getting into little space but I fight it. I can't be little here. Not in front of them. I quickly tear open the pillow kept on my bed and dig my hand in to find a pocket diary that my dad left. It's the only thing I had of him.

As soon as I open it, tears start to pour down my eyes and I realise how much I've missed it.

I shove it in my bag and get ready to leave my room. As soon as I walk down the stairs, I see Ron still standing at the door, giving Ash the dirtiest look ever.

My mum comes closer to me and holds my wrist tightly that it might just bruise. "Don't even try and think of ruining my family by bringing that military boy of yours again to my house. I don't want to see your face again. Am I clear?" She says as her grip tightens. I wince loudly and snap my hand out of hers.

"I don't even want to, bitch." I say and push her away while walking out of the door. Ron slams the door as soon as I'm out and I let out the breath that I didn't know I was holding in.

A pair of strong arms engulf me in a hug and I just rest my head on his chest. "Baby, you did so well today. I'm so proud of you! Did you get what you wanted?" He asked and I nodded, letting the tears flow freely. "Shh Shh no crying baby. You're so strong. Let's get you back home, yeah? Do you wanna show me and Mr Snow what you got?" He said softly while rubbing his fingers through my hair.

"Mhmm, can we please go now?" I request and he holds my hand and takes me to his car. He puts me in the front seat and fastens my seatbelt. "Mr Snow!" I pout and he nods. He reaches at the back and puts Mr snow in my lap.

He starts of the car and I start to fall into little space. "Daddy, m-mum hwurt my wrist! She mean!" I sob and daddy pulls up on the side of the road. He turns to me worriedly.

"What? When did that happen?" He asks and I tell him the whole story.

He takes my wrist and gives me a kiss. "There you go, sweetie. I kissed it all better. She is a mean person. You don't have to see her ever again." He says and I nod my head in relief.

"D-do you wanna see what I left there?" I say, getting deeper in little space. Mr Snow and daddy both nod and I take the little diary out of my bag.

"M-my d-dad weft this wif me c-cuz h-he wrote b-birfday messages for me in this. I hid it in the most secrety pwace in the house! So the meano didn't notice!" I said and daddy gave me a big hug and a kiss on my forehead.

"I'm so glad you got it back, babygirl. It must be so important to you and I'm so sorry you had to be away from it for so long. I promise daddy and Mr Snow will keep it safe again okay?" He said and I nod, wiping the tears away.

Daddy starts the car again and I hug Mr snow tightly till we reach back home.